IOE Student Helpdesk


Your Student Record

It's important that your student record at UCL accurately reflects what you are studying and what point in your academic career you're at, as well as holding all your up to date contact information.

It's your responsibility to make sure that your personal details, such as your name and address, held on the UCL central record are correct. You can check and update your personal details via Portico.

Log in to Portico

The new Student Support Framework has been introduced and encompass many of the UCL support processes including, Extenuating Circumstances (ECs), Interruption of Studies (IoS) etc.

We offer help in the following Academic areas

Enrolment (new and continuing students)

You must complete your enrolment by a specific time each academic year or you will not be able to continue your studies, find out what you need to do and when you need to do it by.

Enrolment for new students

If you are new to UCL, please find more information that will help you through the first time enrolment process

Enrolment for continuing students

To continue your studies in the new academic year you must re-enrol and check your details even if you have no fees to pay.

Please find full details on the re-enrolment process for continuing students. 

Re-enrol online

  • To continue your studies in the new academic year you must re-enrol and check your details even if you have no fees to pay.
  • If you are registered on a modular or flexible method of study, you must re-enrol even if you do not intend to take any modules during the new academic session.
  • To access online re-enrolment you must log in to Portico and select "Start your re-enrolment task" within the Enrolment and Study Details container on the Student Home Page.

Failure to re-enrol

  • You must complete your enrolment by a specific time each academic year. For autumn starters, this date falls at the end of October each year.
  • If you fail to enrol before the deadline, your student record will be closed and you will no longer be registered as a student at UCL
  • If due to your circumstances you are unable to re-enrol before the deadline, you must make a case to UCL to reinstate your registration and to allow you to re-enrol late. Please find contact details for your programme administrator and reach them out at your earliest opportunity - they will be able to advise you on what to do next.
Delayed Re-enrolment

If you have missed your re-enrolment deadline you will need to contact your programme directly for them to seek approval for your delayed re-enrolment. Please find contact details for your programme team. 

Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)

Have you got modules/credits you would like to bring into your study at IOE?

Recognition of prior learning (RPL) is the overarching term for a process which allows students to apply for exemption from particular entry requirements, or from some parts of a Programme of Study, by recognition of their learning from previous experiences and achievements.

Please note, however, that RPL is likely to have an impact on your mode of attendance, fees, funding and final award classification, so please make sure that you are aware of any potential impact on your particular situation and discuss your RPL application with your programme team. RPL needs to  be applied for before you commence your study. For further information, please visit the UCL Academic Regulations for RPL

Find programme teams’ contact details

Extenuating Circumstances

Please see this page on guidance for applying for an extension under Extenuating Circumstances. 

Please also see the Student Support Framework

Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check

Some programmes at UCL require the satisfactory completion of a DBS check - formerly known as a Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) check.

This is a UK legal requirement for those in roles that involve regulated activity with children or vulnerable adults.

Please Note:

If you are already in receipt of a valid DBS, it might be accepted by your placement. However, this is at the discretion of each individual employer and you are advised to check with your placement provider prior to applying.

Apply for your Enhanced DBS

Authorised Absence 

Tier 4 students who are unable to attend lectures, seminars, tutorials and other teaching and learning events.

Please see UCL's Academic Manual for guidance on Authorised Absence. Please fill the form and send it to your Programme team

Request to change degree programme or modules

This guidance explains how to change the modules you have chosen and how to change your degree programme. 

Changes of degree programme or modules are subject to availability and Faculty approval.

Should your Programme Leader agree to a change, your Programme Administrator will pass on your request to the Faculty for final approval.

Changing your programme/course

If a student wishes to transfer from one UCL degree programme to another, they must make a formal application. The usual deadline for change of degree programme during the academic session is the end of October each year (for students registering in September, with a later date for students registering in January) to be compatible with module selection deadlines, although later transfers may be possible, where the transfer does not affect module selections. Students should log in to their Portico account and complete the online application under the 'C2RS Home' menu. Students are strongly advised to discuss their plan with the departments involved before requesting a change of programme on Portico.

Further information:
Changing your degree programme or modules
Academic Manual Chapter 3, Section 6 Programme Transfers
Find out more about changing programmes if you're a Tier 4 student

Changing your modules

If a student wishes to make changes to their individual modules they will need to do so by the deadlines in the Key Dates section. Students should contact their Programme Administrator as soon as possible as all changes will need to be approved.

Further information:
Changing your degree programme or modules
Academic Manual Chapter 3, Section 2: Module Selection

Request to change your mode of attendance

Mode of attendance defines how your programme of study is studied. This could be full-time, part-time, modular-flexible or distance learning. Where a programme is offered by UCL in more than one mode of attendance, it may be possible to change.

If your circumstances have changed and you are considering a change of mode of attendance, you should discuss this with your Personal Tutor or Programme Leader. 

Changes must be approved by the Departmental Tutor. Some changes must also be approved by the Faculty Tutor. Your programme team will be able to advise you further. Your programme team will submit your request to the faculty on your behalf.

Please see this link for further guidance on Changes to Mode of Attendance.

Interruption of Studies

 Interruption of studies process for taught students

Please also see Student Support Framework

 The Interruption of Studies system includes:

  • Support before, during and after your interruption
  • An online form in Portico to make applying easier
  • A meeting with your department to talk about your plans
  • Default return dates of the start of term with no additional fees
  • Your department can now approve a standard interruption
  • You can apply for a deferral of any assessments or classes which might have been affected by Extenuating Circumstances in the period leading up to your interruption  Flexible/ modular students can now interrupt in their final year of study.
  • Flexible/ modular students can now interrupt in their final year of study.

Students take time out from their studies for a wide range of reasons. You might want to take up an internship or placement, take time out to travel, be planning to have children or be facing personal challenges which are making it hard to study. Whatever your situation, we are here to support you in making the right decision for you. 

Before you make your final decision, it is important to first discuss it with your Programme Team to make sure that the decision is the right one for you at the right time.  It is also worth exploring the other support which UCL has to offer – you might find that you can continue your studies if we can put in place Reasonable Adjustments or Examination Adjustments for you. You can also apply for extensions and deferrals of both classes and assessments. Please find UCL guidance on Extenuating Circumstances process.

If you do decide to go ahead with your interruption it is worth remembering that while you are on an interruption of studies you will not be considered a student, this may have an impact on your student Oyster card or railcard, your student loan, your council tax exemptions, your visa etc.

Make sure that you read the regulations in the academic manual and also further information regarding the above

· Interruptions for Taught Students

Applying to interrupt:

  • Once you have decided to interrupt make sure that you read all the guidance on the above pages.
  • Submit an Interruption Application in Portico and upload supporting evidence if needed.
  • Your department will be notified of your application and contact you to arrange a meeting to talk about your plans. This could be on the phone, online or in person.
  • Your department or faculty will let you know if your application is approved.

While you are completing your application

It is important that you attend classes and submit assignments while you apply for an interruption and wait for a decision. If you are ill or are having other difficulties which are affecting your attendance or performance, please make sure that you read the guidance on Extenuating Circumstances before your interruption applying for your interruption.

Please note that you will no longer be able to “backdate” your interruption. However, if you  have been affected by illness or other Extenuating Circumstances (EC) in the period leading up to your interruption.  You are encouraged to submit an Extenuating Circumstances  claim to cover that period.  For example:

Your ability to attend classes and participate in seminars or laboratories might have been affected. You can apply for a ‘deferral with tuition’ which will allow you to repeat some classes and take the assessment when you return. You may have already attended classes, but an illness or other circumstances meant that you could not do the assessment, or you did not perform at your best in the assessment. You can apply for a ‘deferral without tuition’ so that you can re-do the assessment when you return to UCL.

To get a deferral with or without tuition, you must submit a separate Extenuating Circumstances Form and supporting evidence to EC panel (insert IOE EC link here). To qualify for Extenuating Circumstances, you need to meet certain criteria, so make sure you read the Grounds for Extenuating Circumstances before you apply. The EC form guides you through the information that you need to provide. There is a separate section for you to tell us about your Interruption of Study.

Submit your EC Form and evidence to your department (your student handbook or Moodle site should tell you where to submit this).

There are different categories under which you can interrupt.

Category 1: Standard interruptions:

Category 1:

A first interruption of up to twelve months for a Full Time or Part Time student

Application Requires:

Complete an online Interruption Application

Approval Required:

Your department

Category 2: Interruptions requiring a higher level of approval:

Category 2a

A first interruption of more than twelve months but less than two years (please note that interruptions of more than two years are not possible)

Category 2b

A second period of interruption

Category 2c

An interruption of a Flexible student in their final year of registration

Category 2d

Any interruption requiring Repeat Tuition for Academic Reasons (e.g. group work, multi-term modules)

Application Requires:

Complete an online Interruption Application, including the following sections:

  1. Statement of Need
  2. Supporting Evidence

Approval Required:

Your department and your faculty

Please note that you will require evidence for a category 2 interruption. As well as a statement of need.

What is a statement of need?

For Category 2 applications, you must complete the ‘Statement of Need’ section of the online Interruption Application, and upload supporting documents. Depending on your circumstances, this might include things like:

For maternity, paternity, parental or adoption leave: information about your anticipated due date or adoption date; an indication of when you think you would like to interrupt and return Information about a long-term medical or mental health condition, disability or learning difficulty Evidence that you have been called to undertake military service in your home country Information about financial difficulties that might be making it hard for you to study Dates and locations of religious festivals or events which you plan to observe Information about caring responsibilities, for example, caring for a child or a vulnerable adult Information about problems in your home life that might be making it difficult for you to study
Withdrawing from a programme

Please read the regulations on withdrawal from your programme before making an application. 
Once you have discussed this with your department and made the decision to withdraw, you will need to formally apply for a withdrawal of study.

Applications must be made in advance of the effective date of change. Students should login to their  Portico account and complete the online application under the 'C2RS Home' menu.

Once withdrawn, you cannot return to the programme of study. Depending on when you withdraw, you may still be liable to pay a portion of your tuition fees. 

Find out more about your fee liability.

Withdrawal requests for undergraduate and postgraduate students 

You must login to your  Portico account and complete the online application under the 'C2RS Home' menu.

Withdrawal requests for postgraduate research students

Your supervisor must email the UCL Research Degrees team confirming the effective date and reason for withdrawal.

Change of Circumstances (CoC)

If a student makes a change to their programme or registration status during the course of the academic year, for example, they interrupt their studies, change mode of attendance (MoA) or decide to apply to import credits from previous study (please see APL) and they are in possession of a student loan, it is important that the Student Loans Company (SLC) is notified.  A CoC will need to be processed by your Faculty.  The CoC can not be processed until the student record has been updated by the university student records department. Once this has been completed the student casework team will process your CoC and notify the SLC of the change to programme.  The SLC will then update their records and the student loan will either be ‘frozen’ in the case of an interruption, or withdrawn in some cases of change to MoA or APL. In the case of interruptions, another CoC will be processed when the student returns from their interruption and the student loan will continue. 

It is important to note that if you are registered as a full-time or part-time student and you interrupt or withdraw as follows you may owe fees: within 2 weeks of term 1, you will not incur any fees 

  • After the first 2 weeks but within term 1, you will be charged 25% of the full fee 
  • In term 2 you will be charged 50% of the full fee 
  • In term 3 you will be charged 100% of the full fee 

Postgraduate Taught or Research  students

  • Fees are charged on a daily basis for the period enrolled in each academic year. If you interrupt or withdraw within 2 weeks of term 1, you will not incur any fees 

For queries regarding payment of fees, please contact fees@ucl.ac.uk  

If you have any questions about the CoC process, please email ioe-studentcasework@ucl.ac.uk 


Upon completion of your degree and conferral of your award, you will receive a degree certificate and official transcripts.

Find more relevant information about your certificate.  


A transcript is an official document containing a full record of your confirmed academic results and can be used for third party verification purposes.

Find out more information on how to request your transcript


Quick video guides

Watch the short videos to find out more about returning to study, interrupting, delayed re-enrolment and changing your mode of attendance. 

Return to Study

It is nearly time for me to return from my interruption. What happens now?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/1FbHBJeJ

I am a Tier-4 visa student returning from interruption. What do I need to do?MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/EC7CHdj8


I need to have a review with SSW before I can return. What do I need to do?MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/0jj2Cb4D



Interruption of Study

What is an interruption of studies?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/9ebA18e4

Does my interruption begin as soon as I have submitted the form on Portico?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/27Fd53ja
What do the different categories mean?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/eG8I28I1
I am trying to extend my interruption but it does not give me the option to do so. What should I do?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/g3h0Feci

What should I do if I would like to take an interruption of studies?MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/CB1HbE67

Do I have to pay fees if I am going on an interruption of studies?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/5Jbdi6IB
Once my interruption has been approved, what will happen?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/fcB20hf5

How do I apply for an interruption of studies?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/b8d287gi

I am a Modular Flexible student. Can I interrupt my studies?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/HI7Cf8D5
I want to extend my interruption. How do I do this?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/ijg31A9g


Delayed Re-enrolment

What is a delayed enrolment?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/I1Ba2Be7


I am a modular flexible student and will not be taking any modules during this academic year. Do I still need to re-enrol?MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/08fDA14F


I am an ITE student who only enrolled on my course in August. Do I still need to re-enrol?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/ab9d06jA



Mode of Attendance 

What are the different modes of attendance at UCL?MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/ea4dJfjf

I am a modular flexible student. Can I change to full-time or part-time?
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/E6DA6898

I am a full-time PG student. Can I change my mode of attendance?MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/bhFcA8DC


I am a part-time PG student. Can I change my mode of attendance?MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/0jJ1gHbi