UCL Accommodation


A-Z of living in UCL Halls

Find everything you need to know about living in UCL Accommodation

Once you’ve settled in, and explored a bit of your new home and neighbourhood, you may have some questions. How do I report a fault or maintenance issue? What do I do if I feel unwell?

Here are a few general pointers to help you enjoy a healthy, happy time as a student in UCL halls and get the most out of living in London. 




























Absence from halls

If you stay away overnight, please let your Hall Team know by email. It’s important they know who is in the building in case of a fire.

Accommodation Fees

Your fees includes all utilities, such as gas, electricity, water and internet. Rent is payable at the start of each academic term. You’ll get an invoice via email with details on how to pay. If you’re having difficulty paying your rent, in the first instance, please contact your hall team.


It is against the law in the UK to buy or drink alcohol if you’re under the age of 18. Some bars will not serve you if you’re under 21, and you will need ID to get served. Buying or giving alcohol to someone under 18, or encouraging anyone under age to drink alcohol, is illegal.

Anti-social behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is any action or speech that affects the wellbeing of our residents or which compromises the health and safety of others or UCL property. Disciplinary action may be taken against anyone engaging in anti-social behaviour. When you have guests in halls, you are responsible for their behaviour as well as your own. The General Regulations can be found on the UCL Fees Guidance and Payment page.



    Bed linen

    UCL does not provide bed linen or towels. You can buy a bedding pack from UniKitOut. Packs consist of a duvet, pillow, duvet cover, pillowcase and sheet. UniKitOut also sells bathroom and kitchen packs, and many individual items.


    You can store your bike in designated areas on campus or in cycle racks on site if your hall has them, but not inside your hall, flat or attached to the building exterior.



    The best way for us to make improvements is to hear what you have to say. If you wish to make a complaint about your experience within UCL Accommodation, you should take the following steps:

    1. Try to resolve the matter informally in consultation with the person who has caused the complaint. 
    2. If you are unable to resolve the matter you should put your complaint in writing to the Accommodation Manager via askUCL; complaints logged in writing will be acknowledged within three working days and responded to within seven working days. Complaints must be submitted within 14 calendar days of the event giving rise to the complaint.
    3. If you are unhappy with the response, you are able to escalate your complaint through the department.

    The full process is contained within the Accommodation General Regulations found on the Fees, Guidance and Payment page. 

    Computer room

    There are computer cluster rooms in some of our accommodation at UCL. You can log on using your UCL user ID and password. If you have any issues, you can call the Information Services Department (ISD).

    Contact ISD

    View your contract any time by logging on to the UCL Accommodation Portal.

    Council tax

    Generally, as a student, you do not have to pay Council Tax. Your UCL accommodation is exempt from Council Tax.



    If you come across any damage, please report it to your hall team as soon as possible. Sometimes charges are made for any necessary repairs, lost UCL property or if we have to clean up


    Candles, fan heaters and mains-powered fairy lights are not permitted as they’re serious fire hazards. There are lots of other ways to personalise your room. You can put posters on non-painted surfaces such as pinboards, wardrobe and shelves. To make the room your own, UniKitOut is also a great place to pick up bedroom, kitchen and bathroom packs, as well as many individual items including clocks, laundry baskets and battery-powered fairy lights.


    Your deposit will be offset against the first instalment of your accommodation fees. Visit our Fees, Guidance and Payment pages for more information


    At UCL we have an inclusive learning and teaching environment, allowing all students to access the same opportunities. You can find out more information regarding the support available to students with additional needs on the following webpages:

    Disciplinary offences

    Triggering the fire alarm, smoking in prohibited areas, use of cooking equipment in a non designated room and misuse of fire extinguishers are all finable offences.  

    Discrimination and personal harassment

    Harassment is prohibited at UCL and any incidents should, in the first instance, be reported to your hall team or your Student Residence Advisers (SRA) team.

    Drinking water

    All kitchen taps provide drinking water, unless labelled otherwise.


    We don’t allow illegal drug use or distribution at UCL. This includes legal highs or new psychoactive substances.


    Registering for local health services is one of the first things you should do. Find your local GP.


    Electrical appliances

    We don’t allow the use of cubed-style adaptors, so please use only trailing-style, fused, multi-socket adaptors. Any personal equipment must be in a good state of repair, suitably fused, checked for safety (casing, wire and plug) and comply with the UK voltage supply (230v).

    The electrical equipment from some countries (especially those outside of the EU) may not be suitable for use in the UK. If you use lower-voltage equipment (110v) in the UK, it’s likely to cause damage to your equipment, even though it may connect to the electrical supply with an adaptor.


    If you have an emergency, call 999 for the Police, Ambulance Service or Fire Brigade. This is a free service.

    For support in your halls you can use the SafeZone app to contact UCL security or ring them on +44 (0)207 679 2108. If you are not able to use your phone, you can always receive 24-hour support from the security lodge at the main entrance on Gower Street

    Electoral registration

    It’s up to you to register to vote at any time. You’re able to register online, but you should remember to include your room number if you do. UCL must provide details of all residents for purposes of voter registration if requested by the local authority.


    Financial aid

    Looking after your own cash and living on a student budget isn’t always easy. If you ever find yourself under financial strain or need to find help, then there’s some sound advice on the Fees and Funding page of the UCL website.

    First aid
    • If you need first aid, the hall team or SRA team can help you, 24-hours a day.
    • 999 is the telephone number to call an ambulance in the UK.
    • The nearest hospital to UCL with a 24-hour A & E department is University College Hospital, 235 Euston Road, London NW1 2BU.
    • You can call University College Hospital on +44 (0)84 5155 5000
    Fire alarms

    Routine fire alarms tests are carried out every week. You will be advised on fire safety when moving in to halls. 


    General Regulations 

    They may be boring but the ‘UCL Accommodation General Regulations’ are important. These are the rules by which, as a student, you have to abide. Read the General Regulations on the Fees, guidance and payment page. 


    Visits from guests are limited up to seven nights in a rolling month, and you must sign them in and out. In a twin room, your room-mate must agree to visitors in advance. You also need to email the hall team in advance with names/dates of any visitors.


    Hall Community Officer

    Hall Community Officers are student leaders in halls, helping to build strong communities and ensuring that all students have a positive living and learning experience in their accommodation. Hall Community Officers work with the SRAS to help to develop vibrant and inclusive communities in halls by organising and participating in events and activities.

    Hall Community Officers are elected as part of the Students' Union Rep Elections and are a resident in the hall they are an officer for. For more information about the role, visit the Hall Community Officers Hub on the SU website.   

    Health and Safety

    Our health and safety provisions at UCL ensure all the necessary precautions are taken to provide you with a safe and secure environment. If you have any concerns about health and safety, you should send an email to your Hall Team. UCL’s Health and Safety Policy 

    Health and medical arrangements
    • If you feel unwell, you should make an appointment to see your doctor. If you need help, contact your hall team during the day or, out of hours, the SRA team.
    • If you’re diagnosed with a serious infectious disease which may pose a risk to other students, for example, meningitis, mumps, pandemic flu etc., please notify your hall team right away or, out of hours, your SRA team.
    • If you have an emergency and need an ambulance call 999. Your nearest hospital with a 24-hour A&E department is University College Hospital (UCH), 235 Euston Road, NW1 2BU. Call the hospital on +44 (0)84 5155 5000. 
    • For non-emergencies you’ll find a reliable source of health and dental information available from NHS 111 Direct. You can call them on 111 from any landline or mobile phone free of charge or visit the NHS Emergency website.
    • If you still require assistance, you can contact UCL’s Student Support and Wellbeing. You should report any accident, injury or emergency you have in halls to your hall team as soon as possible.     

    Useful links


      If you are an enrolled student, and you are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless please contact the Students’ Union UCL via their Advice Service contact form for support. The Advice Service can meet with you to explore your housing options and signpost you to relevant sources of support.

      The Advice Service can signpost you to relevant sources of support. 



      You will be issued with a UCL Student ID card when you enrol. If you need a replacement ID, bring a form of personal ID (e.g. bank card, driving licence) to the Security Office in the Andrew Huxley Building in the South Quad of UCL’s Bloomsbury Campus – use the door closest to the Geology building. 

      For the following halls your UCL ID will be combined with your Hall Access Card:

      • 109 Camden Road
      • Astor College
      • Bernard Johnson
      • Endsleigh Gardens
      • Goldsmid House
      • James Lighthill House
      • New Hall
      • One Pool Street
      • Prankerd House
      • Ramsay Hall & Ian Baker House
      • Schafer House

      In order to avoid you queuing and waiting around to get your ID card during the busy check-in period, make sure you complete your enrolment at least a week before you arrive (sooner if you can) and your card will be waiting for you when you check-in to your hall. 


      Register for your insurance coverage

      We partner with Endsleigh, the student insurance specialist, to cover your belongings when you’re living with us. To activate your insurance coverage, you should confirm your cover with Endsleigh on their website or through their app.

      To activate your insurance coverage, you can choose your hall from the list below:

      When you register you can find out what’s insured and where you may need additional insurance, such as mobile phone or laptop cover for when you’re out and about, or bicycle insurance.

      Internet access

      Your internet connection cost is included in your rent. Log on to Wi-Fi (Eduroam) using your UCL user ID (ucluserid@ucl.ac.uk) and password.

      Prior to enrolment, students can use the The Cloud network to access the internet in halls. If you have any problems with Eduroam, contact the Information Services Department (ISD).


      You should fill out your room inventory within 48 hours of arriving to your room. For UCL Halls, you can find your room inventory on the UCL Accommodation Portal under the heading 'Room Condition'. 

      Information for international students

      The UCL International Student Support website provides information and guidance to all non-UK students. If you have any queries, you can contact the International Student Support Team by submitting an enquiry via askUCL.

      The UCL Immigration Advice team can help you with queries relating to visas and immigration advice 

      There are a number of external organisations that also offer advice and guidance to international students. The UKCISA website provides a series of guidance notes available for download which )will help you prepare for living and studying in the UK. The British Council website includes a useful section entitled ‘Study in the UK’.

      International students and the NHS

      You can find out about NHS services available to you on the NHS site.

      •    How to access NHS services in England




      Your keys cannot be duplicated, except by the Hall Team. Please keep your keys safe at all times; they are your responsibility. It’s up to you to return keys to the Hall Team at the end of your occupation. If you lose your keys, you need to call the Hall Team or Student Residence Advisors team right away. For new keys, you’ll be asked to show ID and the following charges may apply:

      • £40 to replace a set of room keys (includes fob, room keys, post key)
      • £30 for a lock change (plus additional charge for room keys)
      • £20 to replace a fob/swipe or access card/single key (front door, post box, bicycle shed)
      • £5 for a replacement meal card

      Food preparation areas, storage and cooking facilities are provided in every kitchen. No cooking is permitted anywhere else in the halls. Cooking should never be left unattended. Maintaining a good standard of hygiene in shared kitchens is important and will minimise food hygiene risks and avoid pests:

      • Keep all food in sealable containers and store in cupboards 
      • To allow the kitchen to be cleaned, personal items and food should be stored and surfaces and sinks left clear on the allotted cleaning day



      You have access to laundry facilities on-site. For UCL Halls, with a smartphone, you can pay via the Circuit Laundry Plus app. The cost of a wash is £2.90 and £1.90 for a drying cycle. You can use powder or tablets in washing machines – just put the detergent in the bottom of the drum.

      The Circuit Laundry Plus app is available to download for free from Google Play and the Apple App Store by searching 'Circuit Laundry Plus'. The logo is a white 'C' on a red and blue background. 

      Leaving instructions

      On your day of departure, you need to return your keys, swipe/ access card and electronic key fob to reception by 10am. Your accommodation (including bathroom, if en-suite) and kitchen should be left clean or the following charges will be applied:

      • £25 charge for a standard single room 
      • £40 charge for a standard twin or double room
      • £25 charge per person for a communal kitchen
      • £75 charge for a studio £100 charge for a 1-bedroom flat
      • £150 charge for a 2-bedroom flat/bungalow
      • £50 charge for an en-suite bedroom

      Items left in study bedrooms, kitchens or bathrooms after you have left your hall and returned your keys will be assumed to be unwanted and will be disposed of. It is not possible to forward post to you after your departure so please ensure that you change your address. Post and deliveries for residents who have left will be refused or returned to sender.

      London Congestion Charge

      You may be subject to the Congestion Charge if you drive a vehicle within the charging zone from Monday to Friday, between 07:00 and 18:00.

      The Congestion Charge does not apply on weekends, English public holidays, designated non-charging days, or from Monday to Friday, between 18:00 and 07:00.

      UCL Bloomsbury Campus falls within the Congestion Charging zone, as do the following halls:
      • Astor College
      • Arthur Tattersall House
      • Campbell House
      • Endsleigh Gardens
      • Frances Gardner House
      • Gordon Square
      • Ian Baker House
      • James Lighthill House
      • John Adams Hall
      • John Dodgson House
      • John Tovell House
      • Langton Close
      • Ramsay Hall



      In UCL Halls, to report a repair please:

      1. Log in to the UCL Accommodation Portal
      2. Choose 'Report a problem' from the top menu
      3. Select the correct category and item fields, and add further information about the situation to the ticket
      4. Click submit 
      Meningitis and MMR

      All first year undergraduate students younger than 25 years old are recommended to have the Meningitis ACWY vaccine before attending university.

      If you have not had this vaccine, we can provide it to eligible students. Ideally it should be given during the first two weeks of term as the vaccine takes time to become effective.

      Students are also recommended to ensure they have received two doses of the MMR [mumps, measles and rubella] vaccine and this is usually given to children worldwide as part of the routine immunisation schedule.

      Your doctor can provide this immunisation if eligible.

      Mental health and wellbeing

      Student life can be fun and exciting. But it can also feel stressful and lonely. If you, or someone you know, feels isolated, homesick, depressed or stressed-out, you’re not alone. You can talk confidentially to the Hall Team or SRA team at any time. If you have a specific personal problem, we can help put you in touch with expert advisers.

      UCL Student Psychological Services has a range of help and information available. Support ranges from personal development workshops and one-to-one counselling, to self-help guides and online guidance.

      If you’re diagnosed with a mental health condition, the Student Disability Services at UCL is a useful contact, and it’s worth registering when you arrive.



      Other students may want to study or sleep at different times than you do, so please respect their need for quiet time. This is particularly important in twin rooms.

      Please keep noise to a minimum between 23:00 and 08:00 on weekdays, and between midnight and 08:00 on weekends – especially during exam time, when we don’t allow parties in halls.

      If you bring a DAB radio, MP3 player or other personal entertainment device, please also bring headphones. Excessive noise is a disciplinary offence. You are responsible for the behaviour of your guest(s).




      Parking is very limited and often very expensive in London. UCL Accommodation does not offer residential parking to residents on any of our sites as a part of their accommodation contract. We would recommend that you do not bring your car to London if you choose to stay in UCL Accommodation.

      Any vehicles parked on UCL property, including residential buildings, need to be authorised before arrival and charges will apply in line with UCL Parking.


      You’re welcome to hold small parties and get-togethers. We just ask that you make an email request, giving the hall team two weeks’ notice. Once your party is approved, you’ll receive permission by email.

      Pest control

      It’s unlikely but if you spot any unwanted pests, please email the hall team right away. We have pest controllers contracted to UCL Accommodation, and they’ll respond appropriately.


      Pets are not allowed. Guide dogs, trained to UK regulations, may be approved under special conditions.

      Privately rented accommodation

      If you need advice on moving from halls into the private sector please visit our Alternative Accommodation page.

      Prohibited areas

      You must steer clear of all roof areas, balconies, parapets and ledges. Please observe all safety notices.



        Room inspection

        Once a term, we carry out room inspections. The simple checks take five minutes to make sure everything is working properly and acceptable cleanliness is being maintained. You’ll get an email a few days before to let you know when it’s going to happen. Your room can also be accessed by the hall team, as well as contractors who carry out repairs. You will usually be given 24 hours’ notice unless it’s an emergency. All of the hall team, including contractors, will show ID.



        You should always lock your door and close your windows when you leave your room. Please also make sure that all outside doors are locked behind you as you enter or leave and be mindful of tailgaters. If you think you have spotted an intruder, or may have had something stolen, in the first instance please contact your hall team. Out of hours, contact the site security guard. 


        Smoking, including E-Cigarettes and vape pens, is not permitted anywhere in your Accommodation or in Halls. Smoking is also prohibited immediately outside the entrances or open windows of Halls.

        Student Residence Advisers (SRAs)

        We have Student Residence Advisers (SRAs), who are there to provide pastoral support, signpost residents to UCL support services, and help students settle into university life. Get to know your SRAs

        Student support

        If you are experiencing difficulties – academic or personal – you can talk in confidence to the hall team or the SRA team. They are here to help you. You may also think about talking to your personal or departmental tutor. Your doctor can also help with a wide range of health, personal, social and emotional issues.

        For external support, visit: 

        Summer accommodation

        As a student, UCL has a range of accommodation available for students over the summer from June to September. 


        UCL is aware of its environmental impact and how we can work together for sustainable change. There are many ways to be more sustainable.


        Tidying and cleaning

        Communal kitchen areas are cleaned once per week; please refer to the noticeboard in your kitchen for details of when this clean takes place. Outside of this time, residents using this kitchen are responsible for keeping it clean, including the removal of waste.

        A mop, bucket, dustpan and brush are provided in each kitchen and a vacuum cleaner is available from the reception.

        You’re responsible for the cleanliness of your own room, and for cleaning shared or communal facilities after you have used them. This includes showers, toilets and kitchen facilities. If your room is en-suite, you’re expected to keep your own bathroom clean too. If you live in a studio or flat, the kitchen, bathroom and living areas should also be kept clean.

        TV Licensing

        If you want to bring a TV or use streaming services like iPlayer, then you will need your own TV licence. You won’t be covered by the licence in your hall, or by a licence held at your home address, if you are viewing in your room.




        Window restrictors

        For safety and security reasons, windows are fitted with restrictors and you are not permitted to tamper with or remove window restrictors in your accommodation. Tampering with or removing window restrictions in your accommodation is a breach of your Licence Agreement and may lead to its termination.

        It is also a disciplinary offence, under the Disciplinary Code, to take action likely to cause injury or impair the safety of others. You may be charged for the cost of repair or reinstatement of the damaged or missing window restrictors.