The Queen Square Library provides multidisciplinary services to staff and students at UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. The Library contains an important collection of specialist neurology, neurosurgery and neuroscience books and journals, together with some general medical and biomedical literature, as well as housing Queen Square Archives.
- Covid restrictions - users must continue to maintain 1m social distancing and wear face coverings when moving around. Please see our FAQs for further details and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Membership: the Library remains open for current members of UCL Library Services only. Please check our list of who can use the library and how to join before you visit.
- Opening hours: see our latest opening hours and please note that we may need to close at short notice, and any changes will be announced on this page.
- Services - visit our services page for information on training, document delivery, and current awareness.
- Study spaces and IT - please visit our computers page for information on IT facilities in the library. We do not have any private rooms in the library, and none of our study spaces are soundproofed so they are not suitable for meetings, especially as we need to keep internal doors open for ventilation purposes. None of our individual study spaces or room are bookable. They are available on a first come first served basis to members of the library. Some of the larger UCL Library sites have bookable group study and single study pods.
You might also like to view our guide to library services; virtual tour; introductory slideshow; NHNN induction presentation; and the Library video at the bottom of this page. The Library also features in a number of other videos. Our Annual report gives an overview of our recent activities.
For updates and more information about services across all of UCL Library Services, please check the UCL Library Services web site.
- Always check our opening hours page for the latest updates before visiting.
Access to the library space is via a short flight of stairs to the ground floor of the building and then stairs or a lift to the 1st floor. A platform lift is available to reach the ground floor but please contact us in advance to arrange for an operator to be available. This is the only step free access into the building. UCL Library Services also offers a range of other facilities for users with disabilities which are listed separately.
Contacting the Library & Location
- Address: Queen Square Library, 1st Floor, 23 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG
- Internal post: Box 74
- Telephone: external 020 3448 4709 | internal from IoN 84144 | internal from NHNN 26 84144. Please note: we are able to answer the telephone only during our onsite opening hours.
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @neurolib
Trying to contact the Hospital? Library staff are unable to give advice to patients or carers regarding conditions or treatments. Contact the Hospital on: 020 3456 7890 but please note that patients must seek referral to the National Hospital through their GP. For information about private treatment please refer to Queen Square Private Healthcare.
How to find the Library
The Queen Square Library is located inside no.23 Queen Square, a four-storey building located at the north end of Queen Square. Enter the building up the front steps and, once inside, turn left through the Private Patients' area and through two sets of double-doors to the stairwell and lift area. The library is on the 1st floor of the building.
As the library is in central London, parking can be difficult. It is recommended that you use public transport to visit us if possible - check the Transport for London Route Planner and view UCL cycling information.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic restrictions, we may have to alter our opening hours at short notice. Please check our opening hours page before traveling.
Meet the Queen Square Library Team
From left: Kate Brunskill (Deputy Librarian), Sarah Lawson (Head of Queen Square Library)
- we ask our library users to help - switching off desk lights and using our water fountain to refill your water bottles. Please let us know if you have any more ideas.
- we promote wider sustainability issues across UCL - why not visit the UCL Green Impact site, UCL Institute for Sustainable Resources site.
- we promote events at UCL via twitter, from gardening to bike workshops, Global Citizenship to bird walks.
- we try to recycle wherever possible in conjunction with the Queen Square Division Waste Recycling Project (who provide our waste services, managed by UCLH).
- we have centralised our waste bins so that we can recycle more effectively, you will find two types of bin at the entrance to the library: use the clear bin liner for recyclables (including paper, cardboard, newspapers, cans and packaging), use the black bin liner for non-recyclables (including food waste or food-contaminated waste - but please remember, no eating in the library & only covered drinks please!).
- we recycle batteries and stamps (stamps are donated to the RNIB).
- we link to other locally-provided 'Green' services, for example Camden's on-street recycling facilities (view a map).
Lost property will be held for one week from when found. Valuable items (e.g. phones, ID cards, keys, wallets) will be taken to Queen Square House security. Where an item has identifying marks, we will attempt to contact the owner.