We can only open libraries if all users follow the conditions for using a study space. Users will still need to book a study space and wear a face covering, unless they are exempt. We must all work together to protect ourselves and others and to reduce the spread of the virus.
- You must use the online seat booking system to book a place before visiting the libraries. You must use the Click and Collect system to obtain books from our library collections. These two systems are available for registered UCL Library members only. Please see our FAQs for further details.
- Please see our website for our latest opening hours. Please note that we may need to close at short notice, and any changes will be announced on this page.
- Library staff are also continuing to provide services remotely. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For updates and more information about library services and support, please check the UCL Library Services web site.
The Queen Square Library provides multidisciplinary services to staff and students at UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. The Library contains an important collection of specialist neurology, neurosurgery and neuroscience books and journals, together with some general medical and biomedical literature, as well as housing Queen Square Archives.
Please see our Services page for information on training, document delivery, and current awareness, and our Computers page for information on IT facilities . Please check our list of who can use the library before your visit.
For further information, please see our guide to library services ; virtual tour ; introductory slideshow; NHNN induction presentation; or view our Library video at the bottom of this page. The Library also features in a number of other videos.
Please see our latest Annual report for an overview of our activities.
- Please check our Opening Hours page for the latest updates: www.ucl.ac.uk/ion/library/opening-hours.
- Please also see www.ucl.ac.uk/library for further information.
Access to the library space is via a short flight of stairs to the ground floor and then stairs or a lift to the 1st floor. A wheelchair lift is available to reach the ground floor but please contact us in advance to arrange for an operator to be available. Library staff are happy to help with arranging access to library materials; please contact the library.
Contacting the Library & Location
- Address: Queen Square Library, 1st Floor, 23 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG
- Internal post: Box 74
- Telephone: external 020 3448 4709 | internal from IoN 84144 | internal from NHNN 26 84144. Please note: we are able to answer the telephone only during our onsite opening hours.
- Email: email@example.com
- Twitter: @neurolib
Trying to contact the Hospital? Library staff are unable to give advice to patients or carers regarding conditions or treatments. Contact the Hospital on: 020 3456 7890 but please note that patients must seek referral to the National Hospital through their GP. For information about private treatment please refer to Queen Square Private Healthcare.
How to find the Library
The Queen Square Library is located inside no.23 Queen Square, a four-storey building located at the north end of Queen Square. Enter the building up the front steps and, once inside, turn left through the Private Patients' area and through two sets of double-doors to the stairwell and lift area. The library is on the 1st floor of the building.
As the library is in central London, parking can be difficult. It is recommended that you use public transport to visit us if possible - check the Transport for London Route Planner and view UCL cycling information.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic restrictions, we may have to alter our opening hours at short notice. Please check our opening hours page before travelling.
From left: Kate Brunskill (Deputy Librarian), Sarah Lawson (Head of Queen Square Library), Sandra Bamborough (Information Assistant), Rossana Rizzo (Information Assistant).
- we ask our library users to help - switching off desk lights and using our water fountain to refill your water bottles. Please let us know if you have any more ideas.
- we promote wider sustainability issues across UCL - why not visit the UCL Green Impact site, UCL Institute for Sustainable Resources site and have a look at UCL's Biodiversity Action Plan.
- we promote events at UCL via twitter, from gardening to bike workshops, Global Citizenship to bird walks.
- we try to recycle wherever possible in conjunction with the Queen Square Division Waste Recycling Project (who provide our waste services, managed by UCLH).
- we have centralised our waste bins so that we can recycle more effectively, you will find two types of bin at the entrance to the library: use the clear bin liner for recyclables (including paper, cardboard, newspapers, cans and packaging), use the black bin liner for non-recyclables (including food waste or food-contaminated waste - but please remember, no eating in the library & only covered drinks please!).
- we recycle batteries and stamps (stamps are donated to the RNIB).
- we link to other locally-provided 'Green' services, for example Camden's on-street recycling facilities (view a map) and other regional green activities.
Lost property will be held for one week from when found. Valuable items (e.g. phones, ID cards, keys, wallets) will be taken to Queen Square House security. Where an item has identifying marks, we will attempt to contact the owner.