The Queen Square Library provides services to staff and students at UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery. The Library contains an important collection of specialist neurology, neurosurgery and neuroscience books and journals, together with some general medical and biomedical literature, as well as housing Queen Square Archives.
- Membership: the Library remains open for current members of UCL Library Services only. Please check who can use the library and joining instructions before you visit. Always carry your UCL or UCLH ID card and check in at the desk.
- Opening hours: always check our opening hours page before your visit - the page lists our standard opening hours and also announces details of any changes to opening hours we may need to make at short notice.
- Services: visit our services page for information on all our services, including training, document delivery, and current awareness.
- Study spaces: none of our rooms or individual study spaces are bookable. They are available on a first come first served basis to members of the library. We do not have any spaces suitable for meetings in the library (none of the study spaces are soundproof and we need to keep internal doors open for ventilation purposes). Some of the larger UCL Library sites offer bookable group study and single study pods.
- IT in the library: please visit our computers page for details of the IT facilities available in the library.
You might also like to view our guide to library services; virtual tour; introductory slideshow; NHNN induction presentation; and the Library video at the bottom of this page. The Library also features in a number of other videos. Our Annual report gives an overview of our recent activities.
For updates and more information about services across all of UCL Library Services, please check the UCL Library Services web site.
Always check our opening hours page for the latest opening hours before your visit.
Access to the library space is via a short flight of stairs to the ground floor of the building and then stairs or a lift to the 1st floor. A platform lift is available to reach the ground floor but please contact us in advance to arrange for an operator to be available. This is the only step free access into the building. Visit the UCL Library Services website for details of other facilities for users with accessibility requirements.
Contacting the Library & Location
- Address: Queen Square Library, 1st Floor, 23 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG
- Internal post: Box 74
- Telephone: external 020 3448 4709 | internal from IoN 84144 | internal from NHNN 26 84144. Please note: we are able to answer the telephone only during our onsite opening hours.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Twitter: @neurolib
Trying to contact the Hospital? Library staff are unable to give advice to patients or carers regarding conditions or treatments. Instead, you should contact the Hospital on: 020 3456 7890. Please note that patients must seek referral to the National Hospital through their GP or, for information about private treatment, refer to Queen Square Private Healthcare.
How to find the Library
The Queen Square Library is located inside no.23 Queen Square, a four-storey building located at the north end of Queen Square. Enter the building up the front steps and, once inside, turn left through the Private Patients' area and through two sets of double-doors to the stairwell and lift area. The library is on the 1st floor of the building.
As the library is in central London, parking can be difficult. It is recommended that you use public transport to visit us if possible - check the Transport for London Route Planner and view UCL cycling information.
We may have to alter our opening hours at short notice due to industrial action or other factors. Please check our opening hours page before traveling.
Meet the Queen Square Library Team
Daytime team (Monday- Friday, 9am-5pm)
From left: Kate Brunskill (Deputy Librarian), Sarah Lawson (Head of Queen Square Library)
Jennifer Milligan (Information Assistant) and Urszula Skiba (Information Assistant)
Evening team (Monday-Friday, 5-7pm)
Lai Han Lam (Library Assistant) and Abi Heath (Evening Library Supervisor) who are part of UCL Library Services' Evening & Weekend Team.
- we ask our library users to help - switching off desk lights and using water fountains to refill your water bottles.We have a water fountain installed in the Library. Map of water fountains across UCL buildings ; Map of public fountains across London
- Please let us know if you have any more ideas.
- we promote wider sustainability issues across UCL - why not visit the UCL Green Impact site, UCL Institute for Sustainable Resources site.
- we promote events at UCL via twitter, from gardening to bike workshops, Global Citizenship to bird walks.
- we try to recycle wherever possible in conjunction with the Queen Square Division Waste Recycling Project (who provide our waste services, managed by UCLH).
- we have centralised our waste bins so that we can recycle more effectively, you will find two types of bin at the entrance to the library: use the clear bin liner for recyclables (including paper, cardboard, newspapers, cans and packaging), use the black bin liner for non-recyclables (including food waste or food-contaminated waste - but please remember, no eating in the library & only covered drinks please!).
- we recycle batteries and stamps (stamps are donated to the RNIB).
- we link to other locally-provided 'Green' services, for example Camden's on-street recycling facilities (view a map).
Lost property will be held for six weeks from when found. Where an item has identifying marks, we will attempt to contact the owner.