Our main library services are listed below. Please also view more information about services available to different groups of users.
The Queen Square Library can help with your enquiries, either in the Library, by post, phone or e-mail. Library staff offer advice and expertise in using our services, searching databases, locating electronic information, publishing, Open Access and general reference enquiries.
Library staff are not able to deal with medical queries from members of the public. Please visit, instead, our Patient Support Links, a list over 150 neurological conditions, with associated support groups and charities.
Registered library users may borrow books from the Queen Square Library and from other UCL libraries. Please ask library staff if you need any assistance.
- To borrow an item, use the self services machines (located in all UCL libraries).
Our loan periods are:
- Standard loan - items may be borrowed for 8 weeks and can be renewed if not reserved (please note that items required by another reader may be recalled after one week).
- Short loan - items may be borrowed for 1 week and renewed if not reserved - short loan books have a red stripe on the spine.
- Reference books and Historical books are available for use in the Library only.
- Please return items to the Library from where you borrowed them - to the Library Desk, self service machine or the book bin immediately outside the Library door (this is available when 23 Queen Square building is open, but the Library is closed). This helps us to ensure that they are made available as quickly as possible for other Library users. You can also return items by post to Queen Square Library, 1st Floor, 23 Queen Square, London WC1N 3BG. Items on loan remain your responsibility until received at the library, so it is a good idea to send them by recorded delivery.
Printing, scanning and photocopying
- UCLH printer - allows printing only from the UCLH networked PCs located in the library. Please note that the library does not have a UCLH FollowMe printer. Information about connecting to the printers from the computers in the library is displayed alongside each computer. Printing charges are payable by cash only.
- Multi-fiunctional device - for printing, scanning and photocopying. A black & white only Print@UCL device is avvailable. UCL staff and students will need to have a UCL ID card pre-loaded with credit to use the device. UCLH users wishing to use the Print@UCL device should ask at the desk for assistance.
- Please also refer to information about printing and copying services for exteral visitors.
Copyright - users must comply with copyright regulations when printing, scanning and copying. Details are displayed next to the devices.
We can obtain items for ION staff and students and NHNN staff from a range of other libraries. There is a charge for this service. Alternatively, users may wish to visit other libraries in the vicinity in person, we are close to the British Library, a range of other UCL libraries which hold clinical and research collections.
For more information about our training programme, please visit the training page.
For more information, please visit the literature search services page.