Information for UCL students & staff and NHS library members on how to book a study space.
Please note, most of our individual study spaces are freely available without a booking. More information is available on our range of libraries and study spaces.
About bookable study spaces
Who can use the service?
Please note that only UCL students and staff can use the central booking system as outlined below. NHS members should visit our separate NHS booking page. If you require assistance when making a booking, please contact email@example.com. New students starting 2022-23 will able to book study spaces from your programme start date.
- How to book a study space
- Go to the booking system homepage and select ‘Reserve’ to make a new booking. NHS members should instead go to our separate NHS booking page.
- Choose the library that you would like to study in from the location drop-down menu.
- You can choose to study on a specific floor of the library from the 'Zone' drop-down menu. If you have no preference, you can choose to ‘Show All’.
- Use the 'Category' drop-down to indicate that you require an individual desk with a PC, an individual study space or pod without a PC, or a group study space.
- If you require an accessible desk, please indicate this by checking the relevant box. Accessible desks are height adjustable, and can be raised or lowered electronically.
- Select ‘Show Availability’ and choose a timeslot from the availability grid. You can move the grid to another date, or select ‘Next Available’ to take you to the next free timeslot. There is an option to go back and change your choices if you wish.
- Your chosen booking will appear underneath the grid. If you're happy with your choice, click the 'Submit Times' button, or click the trash icon if you'd like to change your selection.
- Once you submit your booking request, if you aren't already signed in, you'll be asked to enter your UCL credentials.
- Next you'll see a 'Booking Details' screen with a summary of your booking. Click the 'Continue' button if you want to make the booking, or the 'Remove' button to cancel and go back to the availability grid.
- If you click 'Continue', you'll then need to enter your name and click the 'Submit my Booking' button to complete the booking. Again, you can also click the 'Remove' button to cancel and go back to the availability grid.
- After you've submitted your booking, you'll see a confirmation screen, and from here you can make another booking, or log out of the system if you're finished. You'll also receive a confirmation e-mail which will include check-in instructions and a link for cancelling the booking should you find you need to, so please retain it until you have used the slot.
- Please ensure that you bring confirmation of your booking with you when visiting the library. You can show the confirmation on a device, you don’t need to print it out unless you would prefer to do so. You should also bring your UCL ID/library membership card.
- How to check-in to a booking
You must check-in within 30 minutes of the start time of your booking. If you do not check-in your booking will be released for other students or staff to use. If you have two bookings for the same day please remember to check-in to both bookings at the relevant start time, even if they are for the same study space.
- When a booking has been confirmed, you will receive a confirmation email.
- The confirmation email will contain a link for checking-in on arrival and a three/four character check-in code.
- Clicking on the link will take you to the check-in page.
- Enter your three/four character code to check-in to your study space.
When to check-in
Check-in is available 15 minutes before your booking start time. It is not possible to check-in before this.
- How to cancel a booking
When you make a booking, you are sent an e-mail confirmation which includes a cancellation link. You can use this link to open the booking in your web browser and cancel it by clicking 'Cancel booking'.
Please note: you cannot cancel a booking after the start time.
- Conditions for using a study space
- Please retain your booking confirmation email, as you may be required to present it to a member of staff.
- Please do not arrive early for your booking, and ensure that you leave your space by the end of your booking.
- Please report any problems with bookable study spaces to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You cannot book an individual study space for another person using your details.
- Please clean shared equipment and desk before and after use.
- Please keep noise at a level that will not disturb other users of the library.
- Lidded drinks only. Eating is not permitted in library study spaces however it is permitted in designated areas within the Student Centre.
- For individual study spaces, you can book 7 hours per day, up to 3 days in advance. Please note that these limits will be reviewed in line with demand.
- Group study spaces can be booked for 3 hours per day (2 hours at the SSEES Library), up to 3 days in advance.
- If you cannot attend at your booked time, please cancel the booking in order to release the space for another user.
- You must check-in within 30 minutes of the start time of your booking so that we know that the space is in use. You can check-in on the booking system homepage. If you do not check-in your booking will be released for other students or staff to use. If you have multiple bookings for the same day please remember to check-in to all bookings at the relevant start time, even if they are for the same study space.
- When leaving your study space, please remember to check-out on the booking system homepage.
- The spaces are not soundproofed and you cannot lock them.
- Please do not leave any personal or valuable items in the spaces; unattended property will be removed by Security.
- Please leave all spaces clear and tidy at the end of your session, and remember to take all your belongings with you.
Safety on campus
- If you feel unwell, we strongly encourage you to stay home in line with UCL guidance.
- Please follow all the signs and observe the rules during your visit for your safety and the safety of all staff in the building.