Explore computer services
Further help & resources
- Can I save to the desktop?
Yes your desktop files are stored on your N: Drive the full location is N:/Desktop Settings/Desktop/ where they will be backed up every night. It is also advisable to save your documents in more than one location. Other recommended places are:
- Online Storage
- USB Memory Sticks- see USB memory stick guide
- How can I scan my documents or devices for viruses?
Desktop @ UCL uses FSecure to scan individual files, folders and drives for viruses and spyware.
- Where can I find a list of available applications on Desktop @ UCL?
A complete list of available applications on Desktop @ UCL can be found via the links below. This will be updated as new applications or versions are made available.
- Where should I save my work?
It is recommended that you save your work on Filestore @ UCL.
You should save your work on the Filestore @ UCL N: drive, if it is for personal use, or the S: drive if it is to be shared with an existing department/shared group. The Filestore @ UCL drives provide the following benefits which make them more suitable storage areas then UBS memory sticks, or external hard disks:
- The ability to recover deleted/overwritten data within 90 days.
- Hourly and daily backups.
- Antivirus/malware protection.