Explore computer services
Where to find computers in computer workrooms, lecture theatres and kiosks and how to use them.
How to use staff computers and purchase hardware.
Working off campus? We provide service that allow you to access your desktop, files and UCL software applications and systems.
Further help & resources
- Can I save to the desktop?
Yes your desktop files are stored on your N: Drive the full location is N:/Desktop Settings/Desktop/ where they will be backed up every night. It is also advisable to save your documents in more than one location. Other recommended places are:
- Online Storage
- USB Memory Sticks- see USB memory stick guide
- How can I scan my documents or devices for viruses?
Desktop @ UCL uses FSecure to scan individual files, folders and drives for viruses and spyware.
- Where can I find a list of available applications on Desktop @ UCL?
A complete list of available applications on Desktop @ UCL can be found via the links below. This will be updated as new applications or versions are made available.
- Where should I save my work?
It is recommended that you save your work on Filestore @ UCL.
You should save your work on the Filestore @ UCL N: drive, if it is for personal use, or the S: drive if it is to be shared with an existing department/shared group. The Filestore @ UCL drives provide the following benefits which make them more suitable storage areas then UBS memory sticks, or external hard disks:
- The ability to recover deleted/overwritten data within 90 days.
- Hourly and daily backups.
- Antivirus/malware protection.