Staff laptop loans and repairs
Provision of laptops and laptop loans
ISD only has a limited supply of laptops available for loan. All staff need to consider whether their need to borrow a laptop is valid. Loan laptops are for those individuals who do not have access to any IT equipment at home.
- Where possible, if UCL staff do not have a UCL supplied laptop they should use their personal device if they have one available.
- If a member of staff does not have access to personal device or if the personal device they were using is no longer working, they should find out if their department is willing to procure a UCL laptop for them.
- If the department agrees to fund a UCL laptop, staff should follow the standard process for buying hardware.
- If the department is not willing to fund a UCL laptop, then we can supply a laptop on a short-term loan (12 weeks). A charge may be made to the department for the cost of delivery.
To ensure loan requests are valid all requests require approval via:
- Faculty Directors of Operations, who can liaise with their respective Heads of IT
- Other PSLT members, liaise with Ketan Parikh at firstname.lastname@example.org
To enable prioritisation of a limited supply of equipment please provide your approver with a statement of the impact of not being able to provide the equipment. Please note laptop loans will be couriered directly to staff member’s preferred address. Courier costs will be charged to the relevant department.
A departmental device, or an ISD supplied loan device, could develop a hardware or software fault that cannot be resolved remotely. If you need to get a laptop repaired please contact the IT Services desk. The support team will then contact you directly to arrange the repair. Please note that Dell offer warranty repairs at your home if this is acceptable. Alternatively the laptop will be picked up from your home and taken away for repair (this will take longer and incur courier costs).