Committed to empowering professionals, supporting life-long learning and striving for a just and inclusive society.
We bring together world-leading research, teaching and learning, which reflects our expertise in and contributes to high quality education, teaching and teacher development.
We specialise in geography, economics, business, mathematics, history, religious education, citizenship, science, assessment and curriculum studies in education.
Head of Department: Dr Lizzie Rushton
Our department works with local, national and international partners at the intersection of practice and research.
- Our staff
The vast majority of our staff have been practising school teachers at some point in their careers. Some of our members are current teachers in schools as well as academic researchers in the department.
Management and administrative team
- Head of Department: Dr Lizzie Rushton
- PA to Head of Department: Claire Goddard
- Academic Heads of Teaching and Learning: Dr Clare Bentall and Joanne Nicholl
- Head of Research: Professor Eleanore Hargreaves
- Research Ethics Lead: Dr Jennie Golding
- Departmental Graduate Tutor: Dr Jennie Golding
- Innovation and Enterprise Lead: Dr Eirini Geraniou
Find a researcher
IRIS department Widget PlaceholderJ78
Study with us
We host top-rated initial teacher education programmes, innovative MA courses, diverse doctoral studies and a wide range of continuing professional development opportunities.
Our student population is very diverse: students on initial teacher education courses, practising teachers and a rich and diverse range of international students.
- Teacher training
- Graduate taught
- Graduate research
- Professional development
See our forthcoming short courses.
Our department is a vibrant hub of research – international, national and local. Teaching in the CPA department is informed by the research we carry out.
We have five specialised research centres focused in:
- teachers, teaching, schools, classrooms and schooling systems
- issues related to Early Years, especially in China
- promoting knowledge about the Holocaust.
Special Interest Groups
- Educational Assessment Group at IOE (EAG@IOE)
- Mathematics Education SIG - for more info contact Nicola Bretscher at firstname.lastname@example.org and Helen Thouless at email@example.com
- Science Education SIG - for more info contact Haira Gandolfi at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Religious Education SIG - for more info contact: Alexis Stones at email@example.com
We have an exciting research portfolio of projects, including:
- Secondary schools' engagement with climate change and sustainability education in England
- Branching Out: Tackling mental health inequalities in schools with Community Artscapers
- COVID-19: Trainee TEACHers’ challenges and barriers to mental health and WELLbeing support
- Minority ethnic PGCE student teachers’ racialised experiences while learning to teach and the implications for retention
- Teachers and Citizenship Knowledge (TACK)
- Understandings of social justice in secondary science education among ITE students and their university tutors
- More than ‘mixed-attainment good, ability grouping bad’: The perspectives of trainee teachers towards grouping in the primary classroom
- Retention of Teachers from Minority Ethnic Groups in Disadvantaged Schools
- Evaluation of Early Career Support Pilots
- Eco-Capabilities: Supporting children’s wellbeing through participatory art in nature
- The future of the artificially intelligent examination
- Moving Up: optimising secondary school transition processes during the COVID-19 pandemic
- International School Partnerships
- Early career support: pilot evaluation
- Raising Standards in Holocaust Education
- Between-class attainment grouping and educational inequality
- Broadening Secondary School Science 2018-2021
- International Conference on Education and Democratic Citizenship (ICEDC)
- Children’s Life-histories in Primary Schools
- SMART spaces evaluation
- The Student Grouping Study: Investigating the impact of setting and mixed-attainment grouping
- Low attainment in mathematics: an investigation of Year 9 students in England
For further details about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes:
- Contact Professor Eleanore Hargreaves
- Visit UCL Research Portal, IRIS
Our academics and researchers undertake a wide range of consultancies for government departments and both public sector and commercial organisations.
We work with local schools, as well as national and international educational publishers. We have strong links with overseas institutions, including ones based in the USA, Egypt, Sweden, Lebanon, Kazakhstan and Singapore, as well as national organisations such as the National College for Teaching and Leadership and the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority.
Funnelback feed: https://cms-feed.ucl.ac.uk/s/search.json?collection=drupal-ioe-case-stud...Double click the feed URL above to edit