Researching how best to prepare teachers as agentive professionals.
Director: Professor Caroline Daly
We support teachers to become part of an agentive teaching profession, through research and development that is focused on professional learning and practice within their contexts.
Our aims are to enhance the capacities of teachers as expert professionals who can impact on inequalities. To achieve this the centre works in collaboration with teachers and teacher educators through:
- Researching teaching and teacher education that addresses social, economic and environmental inequalities.
- Building capacity for critical research engagement in teacher education.
- Deepening theoretical understanding of teaching and teacher education in complex contexts.
- Providing research-informed high quality professional learning for teachers through courses, support and resources.
The centre helps prepare the teaching profession to meet the complex challenges that demand highly skilled and deeply knowledgeable teachers. Our work enables teachers to meet the needs of learners today and in the future, in local communities and across global challenges for education systems.
- Our research
We have a research portfolio of projects such as:
- Evaluation of Early Career Support Pilots, Education Endowment Fund
- Retention of Teachers from Minority Ethnic Groups in Disadvantaged Schools, British Academy/Leverhulme Small Research Grant
- Evaluation of SMART Spaces, Education Endowment Fund
- Evaluation of KEEP Teaching: Physics Teacher Retention Project, Education Endowment Fund
- Student Grouping Study, Education Endowment Fund
- Investigative Research into Alternative Education, Department for Education.
Collaborations and related projects
- Educating the City – new urban schools and social infrastructure
- Young people, education, employment and ESOL
- Schools as Enabling Spaces to Improve Learning and Health-Related Quality of Life for Primary School Children in Rural Communities in South Africa.
- Best practice in grouping students
- Developing best practice in mixed attainment English teaching.
- Journal 'Teachers and Teaching: theory and practice'
The journal publishes research on teacher education, professionalism, values, evaluation and professional development, and teaching theory, practice and policy.
- Seminar series
CTTR hosts the Educating Teachers Matters seminar series with the Department for Learning and Leadership (DLL). The series explores core issues in innovating teacher education for higher education institutions and their provider partners.