Developing and sustaining a research programme in the interdisciplinary fields of citizenship, education and democracy.
We are sorry that we cannot proceed with the 14th ICEDC conference this year due to coronavirus. The conference has been postponed to the provisional date of Friday 4 June 2021.
- Facilitate research programmes in the interdisciplinary fields of citizenship, education and democracy including education for democratic citizenship and human rights education (EDC / HRE) and children's rights in education addressing national, European and international levels across all phases of education (early years, compulsory, post-compulsory, higher, adult, initial and continuing teacher education).
- Organise an annual research based conference and offer seminars, colloquia and lectures to develop scholarly exchange.
- Encourage participation of graduate and doctoral students in initiating and organising the ICEDC programme.
- Support conference and ICEDC participants to publish their research in academic and professional journals.
- Undertake such other activities as are compatible with promoting the ethos and the realisation of democracy and human rights.
- Our staff
- Professor Hugh Starkey (UCL Institute of Education)
- Professor Audrey Osler, (Editor, Human Rights Education Review)
- MiCheong Cheong
- Gemma Gronland
- Lee Jerome (Middlesex University)
- Adam Lang
- Ioanna Noula (University of Leeds)
- Michael Olatokun (Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law)
- Farid Panjwani
- Hans Svennevig
- Becky Taylor
More information about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes can be found on the UCL Research Portal, IRIS.
The International Centre for Education and Democratic Citizenship (ICEDC) was created in 2006 as a joint international research centre with Birkbeck. It hosted an ESRC seminar series and a major EU funded project for developing citizenship education in Lebanon. It has also hosted an annual conference since 2006 and incorporates the IOE Citizenship Education special interest group (SIG).
Currently, ICEDC coordinates, together with the academic journal Human Rights Education Review, the International Research Network on Human Rights Education of the World Educational Research Association.
Following the merger of the IOE with UCL, the link to Birkbeck ceased and ICEDC changed its name to International Conference on Education and Democratic Citizenship.