Developing and sustaining a research programme in the interdisciplinary fields of citizenship, education and democracy.
14th ICEDC conference: Human Rights and Education: past, present and future
The conference will be held on Monday 12 June 2023 9.30 – 17.00 at University College Dublin, Centre for Human Rights.
The ICEDC annual conference is a meeting place for scholars, researchers, graduate students, education policymakers, and civil society activists from across Europe and internationally. This year’s annual conference is being organised by the UCD Centre for Human Rights in Dublin, Ireland in association with the journal Human Rights Education Review (HRER).
The conference welcomes papers that explicitly address the theory and practice of human rights education and children’s rights education.
Registration will open 1 March 2023. Fees:
- Early bird (before 1 May 2023): 85 Euros
- Standard rate (after 1 May): 100 Euros
- Students and concessions: 40 Euros (early bird) 50 Euros standard.
Fees cover conference pack and refreshments throughout the day including lunch.
- Our staff
- Hans Svennevig
- Dr Stella Cheong
- Gemma Gronland
- Dr Adam Lang
- Dr Lee Jerome (Middlesex University)
- Abiodun Olatokun (Bingham Centre for the Rule of Law)
- Dr Suzanne Egan (University College Dublin)
More information about our researchers, publications, activities, groups and themes can be found on the UCL Research Portal, IRIS.
The International Centre for Education and Democratic Citizenship (ICEDC) was created in 2006 as a joint international research centre with Birkbeck. It hosted an ESRC seminar series and a major EU funded project for developing citizenship education in Lebanon. It has also hosted an annual conference since 2006 and incorporates IOE Citizenship Education special interest group (SIG).
Currently, ICEDC coordinates, together with the academic journal Human Rights Education Review, the International Research Network on Human Rights Education of the World Educational Research Association.
We were sorry that we could not proceed with the 14th ICEDC in 2020, 2021 or 2022 due to coronavirus. Instead, we organised the Human Rights Education 2021 and 2022 webinar series. All of the presentations are available to view on HRER’s YouTube Channel.
Following the merger of IOE with UCL, the link to Birkbeck ceased and ICEDC changed its name to International Conference on Education and Democratic Citizenship.
- Facilitate research programmes in the interdisciplinary fields of citizenship, education and democracy including education for democratic citizenship and human rights education (EDC / HRE) and children's rights in education addressing national, European and international levels across all phases of education (early years, compulsory, post-compulsory, higher, adult, initial and continuing teacher education).
- Organise an annual research based conference and offer seminars, colloquia and lectures to develop scholarly exchange.
- Encourage participation of graduate and doctoral students in initiating and organising the ICEDC programme.
- Support conference and ICEDC participants to publish their research in academic and professional journals.
- Undertake such other activities as are compatible with promoting the ethos and the realisation of democracy and human rights.