Dedicated support for students who are care experienced, estranged, or forced migrants

19 January 2022

There are a variety of support services at UCL to help students during their studies. If you are a student who is care experienced, estranged or a forced migrant, there is specific support available to you.

dandelion blowing in the wind

Transitioning into university can present challenges, especially with the interacting pressures of assignments, meeting new people, managing your finances and settling into the next chapter in your life.  

UCL recognises that some students can face particular obstacles when transitioning into and progressing through Higher Education. Dedicated support is made available for students from these groups, regardless of their year or level of study, and UCL is committed to ensuring that these obstacles are mitigated as far as possible. Students who Student Support and Wellbeing would like to hear from may be:  

Care experienced students 

A care experienced student or care leaver is someone aged under 25 on their first day at UCL who has been looked after by the local authority or in kinship care (under an official agreement with the local authority) for three months in their life (the months do not have to be consecutive).

Estranged students         

You may be an estranged student if you’re under the age of 25 and no longer have a relationship with your parents, or no longer see or communicate with them.  

Forced migrant students 

A forced migrant student is a refugee, asylum seeker, and those who have been granted a temporary form of leave as the result of an asylum or human rights application (e.g limited leave to remain, discretionary leave to remain, humanitarian protection, UASC leave). 

If you think that you fall into one or more of these categories, Student Support and Wellbeing are here to help you, and we encourage you to get in touch with your Student Adviser to find out more information about how you can be supported.  

How can your Student Adviser support you?  

Student Advisers are your key point of contact during your studies. You can meet with them to discuss how you are feeling about being a student at UCL. They are able to support you with academic or pastoral matters, understand any uncertainties you may have regarding student life, and help you identify answers to challenges. Student Advisers also run workshops and activities to enable you to make the most of your time at UCL.

How to contact your Student Adviser 

You can meet your departmental-specific Student Adviser here. To contact them, you can launch a query via askUCL 

  1.  Log in to askUCL and click on the 'ask a question' button 
  1. Scroll to the 'Life at UCL' category 
  1. Click on 'Contact My Student Adviser' and log an enquiry. 

Contact my Student Adviser