Crisis support

If you need urgent help or someone else does, you should reach out immediately to get the support required.

On this page:

If you're experiencing a crisis

If you're experiencing a mental health or wellbeing crisis and are in immediate risk of harming yourself or someone else (for example, if you've made a plan and are worried that you may act on it soon), call 999 and ask for assistance. An ambulance will be able to bring you directly to the Accident & Emergency (A&E) department of your local hospital to get urgent help. 

Always call 999 to request an ambulance if you are unable to reach the hospital yourself. 

If you're feeling distressed and need urgent support

If you're not immediately worried about keeping yourself safe, but are feeling distressed and would like urgent support, you should contact your local NHS urgent mental health helpline. 

Find your local NHS urgent mental health helpline.

You may also contact your GP (doctor) surgery to request an emergency appointment or call the free NHS out-of-hours medical line on 111, and they will help you access the right services.

Find your nearest GP.


Camden Crisis Sanctuary

Camden Crisis Sanctuary is a new service that can offer short-term support to Camden residents presenting with mental health crisis. They can help you with your concerns during out of office hours and create an individual plan to support you. You can drop in to their sessions anytime between 5pm - 11pm (last drop-in time for admission is 10:30pm), 7 days a week, 365 days a year. However, if you would prefer an online appointment, you can call anytime, and they should get back to you within one week. 

Appointment range from 15-55 minutes and can go up to as many sessions as you need. They are a friendly welcoming team who are happy to support you in whatever way they can. 

External services

There are a number of external services that may be able to help if you are feeling distressed and/or are concerned about managing suicidal thoughts. 


The Samaritans offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like about whatever’s getting to you. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or they can just be there to listen. You can call the Samaritans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. You don’t have to be suicidal to call.

Furthermore, you can also visit the Samaritans in branch to talk to a volunteer face to face if you find it easier.


Nightline is an out-of-hours listening service run by students, for students. Their advisers are students themselves who have had extensive training to help them support their peers.

You can speak to someone from Nightline via live web chat at any time from 6pm to 2am every night of term. They also offer support online, through text and through email.


The free HOPELINEUK service is similar to the Samaritans, but specifically for people under 35 who are feeling suicidal.

They will also give advice if you are worried about someone else with suicidal thoughts.

Open 9am to 10pm on weekdays, 2pm to 10pm on weekends and bank holidays.


Maytree is a charity that provides support by offering a one-off residential stay when in a suicidal crisis. Volunteers at Maytree are available to talk to throughout a stay - this is not a centre for therapeutic support, but a place of sanctuary in a crisis.

For more information on the support that Maytree can provide, visit their website, where you can also see how to contact them if you need support. Alternatively, contact the Student Support and Wellbeing team through askUCL.

CALM - Campaign Against Living Miserably

The Campaign Against Living Miserably (CALM) is leading a movement against male suicide, the single biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK. 

Their helpline is for men in the UK who are down or have hit a wall for any reason, who need to talk or find information and support. They're open 5pm to midnight, 365 days a year.