Guidance for international applicants

UCL can assist you with any advice you may need about applying to and studying at UCL.

Around 41% of our students come from outside the UK and we expect our international applicants to have qualifications of a similar standard to our UK applicants.

Making your application

The application process for international students is exactly the same as for UK students. You must apply through UCAS by the relevant deadline for your chosen course. It is not possible to apply to UCL without completing a UCAS application. 

Our application deadline for most courses is 6pm (UK time) on 25 January 2023. The deadline for our Medicine course is 6pm (UK time) on 15 October 2022. We may not be able to consider applications received after these deadlines.

The UCAS website provides further guidance for international students. The British Council office(s) in your country may also be able to advise you on the UCAS process.

International entry requirements

In addition to A Levels and the International Baccalaureate, we accept a range of international qualifications for most programmes.

Equivalent international qualifications can be found on each programme's page in our Undergraduate Prospectus. Select your country (or the country whose qualifications you are studying) from the drop-down provided in the international applications section on a programme's page.

For example, if you are studying Advanced Placements, please select United States of America from the drop-down menu.

Country-specific information is also available for international students. Select your home country from the list to see an overview of entry requirements, as well as relevant funding opportunities, student societies, in-country contacts and other relevant information.

English language requirements

All applicants are required to meet UCL’s English language proficiency requirements.

Military service

Applicants who are required to complete compulsory national military service may be able to exceptionally defer their entry to UCL by up to two years.

Please contact us for further information.

Student visas

In most cases, if you are coming to study in the UK for more than 6 months, you will need a Student visa.

We recommend you start familiarising yourself with the UK immigration requirements as soon as you decide to study in the UK. This will help you develop a good understanding of the application process and the time needed to get a Student visa.

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS)

Applicants for a 4-year integrated master's programme (MSci) in the fields of Biochemical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Physics or Mechanical Engineering, will need to apply to the UK government for an Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance certificate. 

If you receive an offer from UCL, your letter will confirm if you need to obtain an ATAS certificate. It will provide all the information required to complete your ATAS application.

If you are a UK or EU/European Economic Area national or a national of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea or the United States of America, you do not require ATAS clearance.

Please see our ATAS pages or the UK government website for further information.

Fees and funding

Tuition fees for overseas (international) students are listed on each of our programme pages. Further information can also be found on our fees and funding pages.

We will assess your fee status based on the information included in your UCAS application. If you receive an offer, your fee status will be included in the offer letter.

If we require further information to determine your fee status, we will email you a Fee Status Questionnaire to complete and upload to the applicant portal, along with any supporting documents we will ask you to send.

For more about fee statuses, see our dedicated UCL fee status page.

You may also wish to look at the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) pages about fee status in the UK and the terminology used.

International students can apply for a range of scholarships and awards. Many students receive funding from their own government or other external sources, so you are advised to check with the Ministry of Education in your country or from the British Council for information about other potential funding opportunities.

Further information