Why choose UCL?
We're proud of our pioneering history, distinguished present and exciting future. UCL is a great place to be a student for so many reasons.
- World-leading, world-impacting research*
- 400+ degree programmes
- Students from more than 150 countries
- 30 Nobel laureates
- An award-winning sustainable university^
- Over 300 student clubs and societies
- In the heart of London, the world's best student city**
*Research Excellence Framework (REF 2014)
^People & Planet University League for environmental and ethical performance
**QS Best Student Cities 2019
UCL is a multi-disciplinary university, home to centres of teaching excellence in subjects from medicine to languages, law to engineering and history to astrophysics.
We encourage interdisciplinary study and believe that all areas of study can inform and enrich each other.
Our global outlook
Around 41% of our students come from outside the UK, from more than 150 countries, and UCL has a friendly and cosmopolitan atmosphere. We work hard to embed a global perspective in all our teaching.
There are plenty of opportunities to study abroad for a term or a year - around 25% of our students spend some time in another country as part of their degree programme.
We have set six 'Grand Challenges' which bring together UCL people from different disciplines to develop joined-up solutions.
UCL across the world
In the heart of London
- Access 385 public libraries and nearly one third of all the archives in the UK.
- Access London's vibrant business community and a wide breadth of employers, from finance in the City of London and Canary Wharf, to entrepreneurial and tech start-ups in East London Tech City.
Our central London location gives our students access not only to the best in entertainment and nightlife, but also globally renowned cultural and academic resources.
Take a look around
Our community sits at the heart of one of the world's most dynamic cities.
London has been ranked, for the third year running, as the best city in the world for students (QS Best Student Cities 2017, 2018 and 2019)!
Explore the UCL campus with our interactive maps.