A green economy must be fair and inclusive, and be defined by multiple governing actors. Investment is not neutral, and innovation can be directed towards big societal challenges like climate change, biodiversity loss and environmental degradation. Markets can be shaped in a green direction, towards inclusive economic growth which is also sustainable.
Our policy projects, with partners ranging from South Africa to Spain, are high impact and aim to actively shift the role of government and the outcomes of innovation in the direction of grand challenges.
Policy engagement highlights
IIPP is leading a mission-oriented Commission of expertise and practice for post-COVID renewal in the London borough of Camden, working with Camden Council leader Georgia Gould.
IIPP team and partners are contributing to the design of the New European Bauhaus to support the European Green Deal.
IIPP is working closely with the EIB to examine opportunities and lessons from the European Investment Bank’s advisory support to the circular economy.
PELICAN focusses on the city systems across the world that are on the frontline of climate change, and city problem owners occupy a pivotal role in the green transition. The project is supported by EIT Climate-KIC.
IIPP is working with Greater Manchester UK to develop and implement a mission-oriented innovation approach to the city-region’s 2038 carbon neutrality challenge.
Director Mariana Mazzucato is advising South African President Cyril Ramaphosa on South Africa’s response to the COVID19 crisis and a sustainable recovery.
IIPP is working with ART-ER, the regional innovation agency of the Italian Emilia-Romagna region, towards a climate-oriented ‘Just Transition’-led recovery from the COVID-19 crisis. The project is supported by EIT Climate-KIC.
IIPP worked with UCL academics and world-leading industry experts from cross-disciplinary institutions to map out missions for each of the Grand Challenges outlined in the UK Industrial Strategy.
- A just transition (Prospect Magazine) by Martha McPherson
- This must be a ‘1968 moment’ for sustainable development (Times Higher Education) by Martha McPherson and Kate Roll
- New paradigms explore ‘systems-oriented’ ways of managing risk (LSE blog) by Katie Kedward, Martha McPherson and Ria Sen
- It's 2023. Here's How We Fixed the Global Economy (TIME) by Mariana Mazzucato
- Avoiding a Climate Lockdown (Project Syndicate) by Mariana Mazzucato
- Why the Covid-19 recovery needs a proactive public sector (New Statesman) by Mariana Mazzucato and Martha McPherson
- Mariana Mazzucato: We must do capitalism differently to avoid a climate lockdown (Irish Examiner) by Mariana Mazzucato
- How industrial strategy can drive a Green New Deal - Mariana Mazzucato (IPPR) by Mariana Mazzucato
- Central Banking’s Green Mission (Project Syndicate) by Mariana Mazzucato, Josh Ryan-Collins and Asker Voldsgaard
- Media highlights
- News stories
- IIPP work in city innovation be scaled up with the support of Max and Jida Bittner
- IIPP mission-oriented approach supports Building Back Better in Greater Manchester
- IIPP and Camden Council’s Camden Renewal Commission is key part of Camden-UCL MoU signing
- IIPP and Open Society Foundations form a strategic partnership to find solutions to global problems
- IIPP develops first regional fiscal policy in alignment with UN Sustainable Development Goals
- IIPP launches report on how European Investment Bank (EIB) can support new EU Missions framework
- It's 2023. Here's How We Fixed the Global Economy.
- Latest IIPP paper argues nature-related financial risks more complex than climate risks
- New economic thinking for a green transition in the Basque Country
- IIPP enters new partnership with Climate-KIC, one of the world's leading climate change initiatives
- IIPP Director gives keynote in Beijing on green growth to meeting of global energy ministers
- IIPP at European Forum debating Green Innovation with Austrian PM, Vancouver Mayor and Jeff Sachs
- Climate missions in a COVID-19 world by Mariana Mazzucato and Martha McPherson
- Nature loss is approaching a tipping point – it’s time for financial authorities to act by Katie Kedward
- Mission-oriented approaches in practice: Greater Manchester's 2038 Carbon Neutral Challenge by Martha McPherson
- Making missions in Camden by Martha McPherson and Nick Kamber
- Public banks at a time of Covid-19: opportunities, threats, and just transitions by Thomas Marois
- This must be a ‘1968 moment’ for sustainable development by Martha McPherson and Kate Roll
- Times of greed; times of fairness by Carlota Perez and Andres Schafer
- Carbon dioxide cleanup: What’s the role of government? by June Sekera
- Unpacking systemic risk in a brave new world by Katie Kedward, Martha McPherson and Ria Sen
- Mississippi thinking for climate innovation by Martha McPherson
- The green taming of the smart shrew: Coupling digital with the environment by Carlota Perez and Andres Schafer
- Public investments in a green recovery from COVID-19: What steps can Canada take? by Mariana Mazzucato, Gregor Semieniuk and Jose Coronado