Mariana Mazzucato (PhD) is Professor in the Economics of Innovation & Public Value at University College London (UCL), she is the Founding Director of the UCL Institute for Innovation & Public Purpose
Her highly-acclaimed book The Entrepreneurial State: debunking public vs. private sector myths (2013) investigates the role of public organizations in playing the ‘investor of first resort’ role in the history of technological change. Her 2018 book The Value of Everything: making and taking in the global economy (2018) brings value theory back to the center of economics in order to reward value creation over value extraction. It was a 2018 Strategy & Business Book of the Year and was shortlisted for the 2018 Financial Times and McKinsey Business Book of the Year prize.
The New York Times | 1 July 2020
Project Syndicate | 25 June 2020
TED, | 22 June 2020
Bloomberg Green | 9 June 2020
For a full list of publications visit Professor Mazzucato's UCL profile.
- Mazzucato, M. (Forthcoming 2021), Mission Economy - A moonshot guide to changing capitalism, Penguin, Allen Lane-Penguin: London, UK
- Mazzucato, M. (2018), The Value of Everything - making and taking in the global economy, Penguin, Allen Lane-Penguin: London, UK
- Jacobs, M. and Mazzucato, M. Eds (2016), Rethinking Capitalism: Economics and Policy for Sustainable and Inclusive Growth, Wiley-Blackwell, London, ISBN: 978-1-119-12095-7
- Mazzucato, M. (2013), The Entrepreneurial State: debunking public vs. private sector myths, Anthem Press: London, UK, ISBN 9780857282521, US edition (Public Affairs) and translated into Italian (Laterza), German (Kunstmann), Spanish (RBA Books), Portuguese (Companhia Das Letras), Dutch (Nieuw Amsterdam), Greek (Kritiki), and forthcoming in Chinese, Japanese, Korean,and Polish.
- Mazzucato, M., Lowe, J., Shipman, A. and Trigg, A. (2010), Personal Investment: financial planning in an uncertain world, Palgrave Macmillan: Basingstoke, UK, ISBN 978-0-230-24660-7:1-448
- Mazzucato, M. and Dosi, G. (eds.) (2006), Knowledge Accumulation and Industry Evolution: pharma-biotech, Cambridge University Press: Cambridge, UK, ISBN 0-521-85822-4: 1-446
- Mazzucato, M. (ed.) (2002), Strategy for Business, a Reader, Sage Publications: London, UK, ISBN 0-7619-7413-X: 1-378
- Mazzucato, M. (2000), Firm Size, Innovation and Market Structure: the evolution of market concentration and instability, Edward Elgar: Northampton, MA, USA, ISBN 1-84064-346-3: 1-138
- Selected journal articles (peer reviewed)
Deleidi, M. and Mazzucato, M. (2020) Directed innovation policies and the supermultiplier: An empirical assessment of mission-oriented policies in the US economy, Research Policy, 50, 2. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.respol.2020.104151
Lamperti, F., Mazzucato, M., Roventini, A., & Semieniuk, G. (2019). “The green transition: public policy, finance and the role of the State”. Vierteljahrshefte zur Wirtschaftsforschung/Quarterly Journal of Economic Research, 88(2), 73-88. https://doi.org/10.3790/vjh.88.2.73
Mazzucato, M., Kattel, R., & Ryan-Collins, J. (2019). “Challenge-Driven Innovation Policy: Towards a New Policy Toolkit”. Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, 1-17. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10842-019-00329-w
Robinson, D. K., & Mazzucato, M. (2019). The evolution of mission-oriented policies: Exploring changing market creating policies in the US and European space sector. Research Policy, 48(4), 936-948. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0048733318302373?via%...
Sachs, J.D, Schmidt-Traub, G., Mazzucato, M., Messner, D, Nakicenovic, and N., Rockström, J. (2019) "Six Transformations to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals", Nature Sustainability (Sept. 2019). https://www.nature.com/articles/s41893-019-0352-9.pdf?proof=trueMay
Mazzucato, M. (2018). “Let's make private data into a public good”. MIT TECHNOLOGY REVIEW, 121 (4), 74-75. https://www.technologyreview.com/2018/06/27/141776/lets-make-private-dat...
Mazzucato, M., and Roy, V. (2018). “Rethinking value in health innovation: from mystifications towards prescriptions”. Journal of Economic Policy Reform, 1-19. https://doi.org/10.1080/17487870.2018.1509712
Mazzucato, M. (2018), “Mission Oriented Innovation Policy: Challenges and Opportunities”, Industrial and Corporate Change, 27 (5): 803–815, https://doi.org/10.1093/icc/dty034
Mazzucato, M. and Semieniuk, G (2018) “Financing renewable energy: who is financing what and why it matters”, Technological Forecasting and Social Change, 127, 8-22. http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040162517306820
- Mazzucato, M., & Kattel, R. (2018). "Mission-orientated innovation policy and dynamic capabilities in the public sector." Industrial and Corporate Change, http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/icc/dty032
- Mazzucato, M. and Robinson, D. (2017) "Co-creating and directing innovation ecosystems: NASA’s approach to public-private partnerships in low-Earth orbit",Technological Forecasting and Social Change, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.techfore.2017.03.034
- Mazzucato, M. and Semieniuk, G (2017) “Financing renewable energy: who is financing what and why it matters”, forthcoming in Technological Forecasting and Social Change, also SPRU working paper version https://www.sussex.ac.uk/webteam/gateway/file.php?name=2016-12-swps-mazzucato-et-al.pdf&site=25
- Mazzucato, M. and Semieniuk, G. (2017) “Public financing of innovation: new questions”, Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Volume 33 (1): 24–48. https://academic.oup.com/oxrep/article/33/1/24/2972707/Public-financing-...
- Mazzucato, M. and Penna, C. (2016) “Beyond market failures: the market creating and shaping roles of state investment banks”, Journal of Economic Policy Reform, 19(4): 305-326, SPRU working paper version http://www.sussex.ac.uk/spru/documents/2014-21-swps-mazzucato-and-penna.pdf
- Mazzucato M. (2016) "From Market Fixing to Market-Creating: A new framework for innovation policy", Special Issue of Industry and Innovation: “Innovation Policy – can it make a difference?”, 23 (2)
- Academic working papers
- Deleidi, M., Mazzucato, M. and Semieniuk, G. (2019). Neither crowding in nor out: Public direct investment mobilising private investment into renewable electricity projects. UCL Institute for Innovation and Public Purpose, Working Paper Series (IIPP WP 2019-10). Available at: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/bartlett/public-purpose/wp2019-10