Emotional support available to research students

3 December 2020

Beginning a research degree can be an exciting but daunting journey. UCL takes pride in its research community and so we have lots of support available to our research students to ensure that you can be supported should you experience any difficulties.

Four friends in a field

Research students can access the support available to both students and staff!

If you are experiencing difficulties with your emotional wellbeing, a good first port of call is the UCL Student Support and Wellbeing (SSW) team. Our team of advisers may be able to offer you support solutions there and then, or they may be able to refer or sign post you onto different services.

Due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak, we are now offering all our usual support services remotely ensuring our students continue to have access to a wide range of support during this time. To book a telephone or video consultation please contact the Student Support and Wellbeing Team via askUCL or email.

UCL research students can access counselling and therapeutic support via Care First Lifestyle or via our Student Psychological and Counselling Service.

Care First Lifestyle offer counselling support over the phone and online. Once enrolled you can contact them by phone or email.

Our Student Psychological and Counselling Service offer counselling and psychiatrist support. You can access support by completing their online registration form.

You may feel that you do not need advisory based support, but that you just need some resources to help yourself. UCL’s website has a number of self-help resources and tools that you can use on our Workplace Health website and Student Support and Wellbeing website.

As well as the support and resources available via Workplace Health and SSW, the UCL Doctoral School has a wealth of resources, short courses and workshops that research students can access. Your department and supervisory team will also be able to offer you welfare support and help you to identify which service and provision would be most suitable for you.

Natalie Humphrey, Head of Student Support and Wellbeing (Disability, Mental Health and Wellbeing)