Full-time students don’t usually have to pay council tax. Find out if you’re eligible for an exemption.
Council tax is paid to your local council so that they can spend the money on providing local services like transport, police, fire, libraries, leisure and recreation, and rubbish collection. It’s a tax on domestic property and how much you pay is determined by how much your property is worth.
Council tax eligibility
For council tax purposes, a full-time student is enrolled on a course that:
- lasts at least 1 year;
- involves at least 21 hours of study per week.
If you don’t meet the definitions of full-time student, you can’t claim exemption from council tax, even if your course is defined as full-time by your university or college.
You will need a Statement of Student Status to prove you are eligible. You can print out a copy of your own statement in Portico.
You are eligible for council tax exemption:
- if you are a full-time student and live in a house where everyone is a student (halls of residences are automatically exempt);
- if you are a full-time student and have interrupted your studies.
If you are a full-time student and live in a house with others who are not students, you may be eligible for a discount, but council tax will still be payable on the property.
You are not eligible for council tax exemption:
- if you are withdrawing from your course, as you will no longer be considered a student;
- if you have finished studying and have passed your programme end date - once you have finished studying, you are no longer classed as a full-time student, even if you have not yet received your results or been to your graduation ceremony.
If you move into your privately rented property before the start date of your programme, you may be liable for the period from when you move in to the first day of your programme.
For more information on council tax in your London borough, please visit the London Councils’ Directory and select your borough.
How to apply
You should apply for exemption to your local council. If you can’t apply online, you will need to contact your council to find out how to apply.