Victim of crime/antisocial behaviour

Find out who you should notify if you are a victim of crime or antisocial behaviour whilst abroad.

Antisocial behaviour

Antisocial behaviour is defined as acting in a way that causes or is likely to cause alarm or distress to another person. Examples of antisocial behaviour include:

  • noise
  • rowdy behaviour such as shouting, swearing and fighting
  • intimidation through threats or actual violence
  • harassment, including racial or sexual harassment
  • verbal abuse

In the case of noisy or rowdy behaviour near your home or place of study, you should contact your host institution in the first instance. Other options include your employer if you are working or your school if you are teaching. They are likely to know how to help as they can give you local knowledge and advice. 

Alternatively, you can contact the Global Student Assistance Programme, who should be able to help you find the appropriate service to report to. 

Intimidation, violence, serious verbal abuse or harassment should be reported to your host organisation (university, school or employer) and you should consider reporting to the police. 

Sexual harassment

If you experience sexual harassment whilst on your year abroad, particularly if it occurs within your host organisation, we would encourage you to report the incident as soon as possible. You can start by speaking to us or your department about it, if you wish. We can help guide you to support services and advise you how to approach staff at your host institution. Linguistic support can also be provided by your department, if necessary. 

If you are the victim of a crime

If you are the victim of a crime while you are on your year abroad, you are advised to seek help in reporting the crime from one of the following:

  • your host institution or employer
  • your national consulate or embassy (British Consulate)

You can also contact the Study Abroad Team for details of support services, or contact the Global Student Assistance Programme for local advice and guidance. If the incident is having an impact on your studies, it is important that you notify someone at UCL (either us or your department) as soon as possible.