Queen Square Library offers free library skills support & training to UCL staff & students & UCLH staff, with a focus on UCL Queen Square Institute of Neurology & National Hospital for Neurology. You must be registered as a library member to attend (NHS users: please contact us to check if you are not sure whether or not you are registered). Our training sessions and 1:1 support are currently being delivered online due to ongoing distancing restrictions at our site. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to request an online meeting.
- What is available and when? See below for details of courses on offer and view the training calendar for dates and times (and to book a place).
- Do you have any online guides? Yes! Visit LibrarySkills@UCL and our online guides page for a range of guides and videos.
The types of course we offer to staff and students of UCL and staff from UCLH are:
- Bookable courses and brief demos - these run throughout the year and aim to help you to develop your skills and to take full advantage of the search tools on offer. See the training calendar for dates and times at all sites.
- Induction sessions - not currently on offer due to Covid distancing restrictions at our site. Please have a look at our virtual tours and contact us if you would like more information about the Queen Square Library. You can also visit UCL Library Services' Getting Started site.
- One-to-one sessions: we can offer advice if you are working on a search; populating your RPS profile; or exploring bibliometrics. Please contact us to make an online appointment. Also view more details of our literature search service for clinical staff.
The library also provides free online guides and advice about keeping yourself up to date (current awareness). We do not currently offer critical appraisal training (see some suggested tools for critical appraisal).
Other training available at UCL and UCLH:
- Digital skills training from UCL ISD for UCL staff & students.
- courses for NHS staff on the UCLH intranet site (NB: accessible only from NHS PCs)
- courses for NHS staff from eLearning for Healthcare - including Building the Foundations (introductory modules to help you to assess your current level of skill, ensure that you are searching for information in the right place and develop a simple search strategy) and Developing the Skills (to help you use a range of searching techniques to find relevant articles quickly and easily; to narrow and broaden your search).