Below we have given details of some methods you can use to keep yourself updated about new publications in your topic area. See also: literature search services. Please contact us for more information about these services.
Set up a Pubmed email alert
- enter your search in Pubmed
- click 'Create alert' underneath the search box
- sign into your MyNCBI account (if you do not already have one, choose 'Register for an NCBI account')
- enter a name for your search and choose 'Yes' if you want to receive email updates; you will be offered a choice of frequency and format for the email
- to amend or cancel an email alert, log into your MyNCBI account using the link at the top right-hand corner of the screen and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Note: you can also bookmark a Pubmed search to get back to it quickly. Do a search and scroll down to the 'Search Details' area in the right-hand menu. Click 'See more' and then click the 'URL' button to display a unique URL (quite long!) for bookmarking.
Set up a Web of Science email alert
Web of Science is available to Institute of Neurology staff and students.
- go to http://wok.mimas.ac.uk and click the button 'Click here to access Web of Science' (you will need to use your UCL account to log in if working from home)
- perform a search as usual and then click 'Search History' near the top-right of the screen
- click the 'Save History / Create Alert' button
- log into your Web of Science personal account (NB: your UCL login details will not work, you need to click 'Register' if you have not already set up a Web of Science personal account)
- complete the form, choosing the options you require and 'Save'.
Set up an OvidSP email alert
OvidSP provides access to a suite of databases, including Medline, Embase, PsycInfo and these instructions will allow you to set up alerts for any of the databases in the suite.
- access the OvidSP databases via our databases page and perform a search as normal
- click 'Search History' near the top of the screen to view the search steps you have taken
- you can save either individual search steps or your whole search history (to save individual steps, use the tick boxes to the left click of each step, to save the whole history, click 'Save Search History' at the bottom right of the list of search steps.
- give your search a name and change the setting from 'Permanent' to 'AutoAlert (SDI)' using the drop-down menu
- complete the form, choosing the options you require and click 'Save'.
Set up an NHS Evidence Search email alert
NHS Evidence provides access to a suite of databases, including Medline, Embase, PsycInfo and these instructions will allow you to set up alerts for any of the databases in the suite.
- go to https://hdas.nice.org.uk/ and click 'Login for all databases' (log in with your NHS Athens account)
- choose which database(s) to search and perform a search as usual
- scroll down to the 'Current search strategy' area and, alongside the row you require, click the small bell icon to choose options for your alert. Click Save.