Evidence: finding the evidence & critical appraisal
- Check the Queen Square Clinical Governance page (NB: UCLH intranet site - restricted to UCLH users)
- View a list of NICE guidelines relevant to NHNN
- Search NHS Evidence
- Move onto a search of the Cochrane Library and the TRIP database
- Try a more general search using Healthcare Databases Advanced Search tools (requires an NHS OpenAthens account)
For access to these key tools and others, visit the UCLH Healthcare Evidence Resources website (NB: UCLH intranet site - restricted to UCLH users)
- CASP: Critical Appraisal Skills Programme offers tools to help you critically appraise different types of article.
- CLIST trainers’ toolkit pages: Critical appraisal resources provides links to Critical Appraisal resource pages maintained by a selection of UK healthcare libraries.
- Training and support for critical appraisal is available within UCLH.
...and other useful tools for finding evidence:
- BESTBets (UK) - Best Evidence Topics developed in the Emergency Department of Manchester Royal Infirmary, UK, to provide rapid evidence-based answers to real-life clinical questions, using a systematic approach to reviewing the literature.
- BMJ Best Practice - a point of care decision-making tool (UCL users).
- Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine (UK)
- Centre for Evidence-Based Mental Health (UK)
- Centre for Health Economics (UK)
- Clinical Evidence
- Cochrane Library - the primary source of information about the effectiveness of healthcare interventions. From the Cochrane Collaboration
- Current Controlled Trials - (USA) ISRCTN registry of clinical trials recognised by WHO and ICMJE (accepts all clinical research studies, whether proposed, ongoing or completed)
- DynaMed for NHS users - requires an NHS OpenAthens account. DynaMed is a clinical reference tool created by physicians for physicians. See the DynaMed online guide.
- Evidence-Based Neurology (USA)
- NICE: National Institute for Clinical Excellence (UK).
- NiH RePORTER
- National Service Framework for Longterm Conditions (UK)
- NHS Centre for Reviews and Dissemination (UK)
- PubMed's Clinical Queries tool - a specialized PubMed tool to focus your search on particular clinical categories (etiology, diagnosis, therapy, prognosis) and to find systematic reviews.
- UKCRN: portfolio database - a searchable listing of research being undertaken within the four UK networks which form the UK Clinical Research Network (UKCRN)
- UpToDate - An evidence-based knowledge system authored by physicians to help clinicians make the right decisions at the point of care. Available within the UCL network only.