Everything you need to know about accessing and using central computing services whether you are on campus or working remotely.
Explore Computer Services
Where to find computers in computer workrooms, lecture theatres and kiosks and how to use them
How to use staff computers and purchase hardware
Working off campus? We provide service that allow you to access your desktop, files and UCL software applications and systems.
Published: Sep 25, 2015 5:46:00 PM
Published: Sep 3, 2015 10:28:43 AM
Published: May 19, 2015 11:24:06 AM
Further Help & Resources
- Can I save to the desktop?
Yes your desktop files are stored on your N: Drive the full location is N:/Desktop Settings/Desktop/ where they will be backed up every night. It is also advisable to save your documents in more than one location. Other recommended places are:
- Online Storage
- USB Memory Sticks- see USB memory stick guide
- How can I scan my documents or devices for viruses?
desktop@UCL uses two different scanner programs to scan individual files, folders and drives for viruses and spyware. The type of scanner depends on the service you are using:
- desktop@UCL on campus - Microsoft Endpoint and you can See the Virus scanning guide for more information.
- desktop@UCL for staff - FSecure
- Where can I find a list of available applications on desktop@UCL?
A complete list of available applications on desktop@UCL can be found via the links below. This will be updated as new applications or versions are made available.
- Where should I save my work?
It is recommended that you save your work on the Central Windows Filestore. This is backed up every night and is password protected so is more safe and secure than other methods such as USB sticks or internal/external external hard disks