Which process should I use?

If you are not sure which process to use, this guide helps you to find the best options for you.

Please note that this page is not definitive - there may be times when you are eligible for another type of support that is not listed here, or you might be struggling with something which doesn’t quite fit into a category, or you may need help with more than one thing. 

What do you need help with?

Which process to use

A shorter-term physical condition

  • Temporary medical conditions
  • Accidents and injuries

A longer-term physical condition

  • Mobility differences, such as wheelchair users or individuals with musculoskeletal conditions
  • Sensory differences, such as individuals certified as blind or partially sighted and those who are D/deaf
  • Long-term medical conditions, such as diabetes, arthritis, cancer, HIV or autoimmune conditions
  • Progressive physical conditions, such as motor neurone disease or muscular dystrophy
  • Fluctuating or recurring physical conditions, such as epilepsy, rheumatoid arthritis, myalgic encephalitis (ME), or chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)

A shorter-term mental health difficulty

  • Shorter-term mental health conditions, such as mild anxiety

A longer-term mental health condition

  • Longer-term mental health conditions, such as depressive disorders, generalised anxiety disorder, eating disorders
  • Progressive mental health conditions such as forms of dementia
  • Fluctuating or recurring mental health conditions such as bipolar disorder, psychotic episodes or seasonal affective disorder

A learning, social or communication difference

  • Specific learning differences (SpLD) such as dyslexia or dyspraxia
  • Social and communication differences such as an Autistic Spectrum Condition (ASC)

Pregnancy and adoption

  • Pregnant students and their partners
  • Maternity, paternity, parental and adoption leave
  • Feeding a young baby

Parenting and Caring

  • Parenting
  • Childcare
  • Caring for a vulnerable adult

Religion and belief

  • Observing holy days and festivals such the Sabbath, Ramadan or Eid
  • Daily religious or cultural practices including prayer, fasting, diet and dress
  • Academic Adjustments for longer-term support with your studies including timetabling queries
  • You can also speak to UCL’s Chaplaincy and Interfaith Advice team for advice


  • Bereavement
  • If you are affected by physical or sexual assault
  • If you are affected by traumatic world events such as war, natural disasters or terrorist incidents
  • If you are affected by any form of harassment or discrimination

A personal difficulty

  • Family difficulties such as family break up or divorce
  • Financial difficulties such as problems with tuition fees or rent
  • Housing difficulties such as homelessness or problems with your landlord
  • Work and other commitments, such as professional emergencies