Funding for support

Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA)

Eligible undergraduate or postgraduate students can apply for Disabled Students' Allowance. DSA includes those studying through the NHS Bursary Scheme and those working with the UK Research Councils. You can get DSA funding on top of any other student finance and you will not have to pay any DSA funds back.

Check out our dedicated page about DSA for more details, including who is eligible.

UK Research Council funding (UKRI)

Disabled postgraduate research students funded by one of the seven UK Research Councils can apply for Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA) to help with additional study-related requirements.

To apply for Research Council DSA, contact the Disability team in Student Support and Wellbeing, attaching your UKRI studentship letter.

More information on the UK Research and Innovation website.

If you're not eligible for DSA

UCL contributes to disability-related study support for students who aren't eligible for DSA. This means that international students with disabilities and long-term health conditions may benefit from the same academic experience to that of their UK and DSA eligible peers.

UCL may support the following funding:

  • Assistive technology such as software and hardware to support with your teaching, learning and assessments.
  • Specialist study skills tutoring for students with a Specific Learning Difference (SpLD) such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or ADHD.
  • A note-taker or other non-medical helper (NMH) for course-related needs (up to a maximum hourly rate and hours assessed as reasonable by a Disability Advisor).
  • Other costs related to your studies.

UCL is currently unable to fund personal care needs such as assistance with shopping, cooking or cleaning.

Book an appointment via askUCL to register for support and discuss funding options with one of our advisors.

Additional sources of funding

The Snowdon Award Scheme

The Snowdon Award Scheme provides grants and scholarships to students with disabilities to help them make the most of further or higher education or training.

Grant only

Scholarship only

Student Health Association Bursary

The Student Health Association runs The Student Enablement Fund and support students with disabilities to keep up with their studies.

Return to top.