If you are re-enrolling onto your programme after an interruption, please read the following steps to start your return process

Registration advice and support

If you have a query related to re-enrolling, contact the UCL Student Records by logging an enquiry via askUCL. 

Log a query via askUCL

Starting the return process

Taught students

If you are an undergraduate or postgraduate taught student, you will need to let UCL Student Records know of your intention to return no later than one month before your return date. You will receive an email alert with instructions on how to do this.

Postgraduate research students

If you are a research student, we will open your record for you to enrol on the date you are due to return. If you need to change this date, please log a query via askUCL. 


When UCL Student Records receives notification of your return, they will reinstate your student record and invite you to enrolment.

We encourage you to consider that:

  • You will not be able to enrol until your record is re-instated, and you have paid the appropriate tuition fees, or provided evidence of sponsorship
  • You must re-enrol within two weeks of your record being reinstated. Failure to re-enrol may result in the closure of your student record
  • Visa national students must present their passport and current visa before they will be permitted to re-enrol

Extending your interruption

Taught students

Interruptions cannot be extended. If you want to interrupt for another year, you will need to submit a new application. Second interruptions require a higher level of approval, and you will need to provide a Statement of Need and supporting evidence. Please see the Interruption of Study procedures in the Academic Manual for more details. 

Postgraduate research students

If you wish to extend your interruption, you should contact your department in the first instance, as they will need to approve this extension.

If you are thinking of leaving UCL

If you are not sure about resuming your studies following your interruption, your department or UCL Student Support and Wellbeing can help you to look at your options. There are many ways in which UCL can support you to continue your studies.

If you do make the decision to withdraw, please see the next webpage on withdrawing from your programme for more information.