Updating student details

Important information is kept on your student record. Make sure your details are up to date so that you don't miss any important communications.

On this page you will find information on:

It is your responsibility to ensure your personal details, such as your name and address, held on the UCL central record during your studies at UCL are correct.

Check your details on Portico

Updating your name

Current students

You may email us your request and attach a copy of an official document (e.g. passport, marriage certificate or deed poll) to your email.

Former students

UCL Student and Registry cannot make changes to your name on your record once you have completed your programme of study, except where an error has been made by UCL Student Records or you have undergone gender reassignment. Your degree certificate will be awarded in your name as it appears on Portico at the end of your programme.

Students on a Tier 4 (general) student visa

Tier 4 and other visa Points Based System migrants are required to report their name change to the Home Office. The Home Office will issue you a new biometric identity card, which you must then take to the Student Centre. 

Report a change of circumstance if you have a visa or BRP here

Updating your postal addresses

Current Students

It is a legal requirement that you provide UCL with current contact details for the duration of your programme of study.

You must keep your home, term-time and contact address up to date at all times. You can check that this information is up to date and amend it if necessary via Portico. If you are having difficulties accessing Portico, please contact Information Services (ISD).

Former students

Upon completion of your studies, your degree certificate and official transcript will be sent to the home address on your portico account. If you need to update your home address for the delivery of your degree certificate and can no longer access Portico, please email UCL Student Records. We do not maintain addresses for former students once they have received their degree certificate.

You may register your contact details with the UCL Alumni.

Updating your email address

Current Students

When you register with Information Systems Division (ISD) you will be issued with a UCL email addresses. Email is used for communication throughout UCL. Your tutors and central administrative departments will use your UCL email address to communicate with you. You may add alternative email addresses to your record via Portico.

It is your responsibility to ensure you regularly check your UCL and any additional email accounts you have updated on Portico.

Find out more about UCL email accounts

Former students

UCL Student and Registry do not maintain email addresses for former students that have already received their degree certificate.

Find out more information on the email for life

Correcting your date of birth, ethnicity or nationality

If your date of birth, ethnicity or nationality is incorrect on our records please email us your request including your student number, full name (as registered) and attach a copy of your passport or birth certificate to your email.