Study leave

If you are going to study away from UCL to conduct research you must apply for study leave. The kind of application you make depends on how long you plan to be away.

This information is for postgraduate research students.

Study leave for research students

If you are conducting research away from UCL for more than 4 weeks you must make an application for study leave.


You must comply with UCL’s Guidance for Fieldwork.


To apply for study leave you must:

  • be in regular attendance at UCL for a minimum of nine months full-time study (or the equivalent in part-time study) during your period of research
  • not be away for more than two calendar years
  • not be in the first 3 or final 3 months of your programme

You will be expected to keep in regular contact with your supervisor during your study leave.

You will be liable for fees at a reduced rate during the period of study leave.