Limited cash loans of up to £250 are available to students who have experienced a delay in their normal funding being paid.
If you are in immediate financial need because your normal funding (a loan or scholarship, for example) has been delayed, you can apply for an emergency loan. Loans of up to £250, interest free, are available and are usually made for one month.
To qualify for an emergency loan you must:
- be fully enrolled on a full-time or part-time programme at UCL - students on time-limited enrolment are not normally eligible*
- have commenced/recommenced study on your programme
- be experiencing a delay in your student financing and be able to provide proof if requested
- have exhausted all other avenues of emergency funds, such as asking family for help or using your overdraft facility
- have not received a previous emergency loan in the same academic year
- have repaid any previous emergency loan within the one month period without extending or defaulting on the loan
- not be in debt to UCL at the time of the request, for tuition or accommodation fees for example
*An exception to this may apply if you are an undergraduate student waiting for confirmation of your Tuition Fee loan from Student Finance
How to apply
To apply for a loan you must:
Attach the questionnaire and send your enquiry.
A member of our team will contact your UCL email address within 48 hours.
Collecting your money
Due to the ongoing situation with Coronavirus (Covid-19) students are no longer required to collect their emergency loan in the form of a cheque.
Payment will be made via bank transfer to UK banks only. The proccess from application to receiving a decision and payment (if applicable) will take 7-10 working days.
If you are on a Study Abroad programme and would like to enquire about a loan you should send an enquiry. To do this, log into askUCL, select Log an Enquiry and choose Emergency Loans as the category
Repaying your loan
Repayment is normally expected within 4 weeks. We will send you instructions by email on how to repay.
If you are unable to repay the loan by the agreed deadline, contact the Student Funding team. To do this, log into askUCL, select Log an Enquiry and choose Emergency Loans as the category. Explain your circumstances and give a date by which you will be able to make a payment. Your request will be considered by the student funding manager.