Limited cash loans of up to £250 are available to students who have experienced a delay in their normal funding being paid.
If you are in immediate financial need because your normal funding (a loan or scholarship, for example) has been delayed, you can apply for an emergency loan. Loans of up to £250, interest free, are available and are usually made for one month.
To qualify for an emergency loan you must:
- be fully enrolled on a full-time or part-time programme at UCL - students on time-limited enrolment are not eligible
- be experiencing a delay in your student financing and be able to provide proof if requested
- have exhausted all other avenues of emergency funds, such as asking friends or family for help or using your overdraft facility
- have not received a previous emergency loan in the same academic year
- have repaid any previous emergency loan within the one month period without extending or defaulting on the loan
- not be in debt to UCL at the time of the request, for tuition or accommodation fees for example
How to apply
To apply for a loan you must complete an emergency loan questionnaire and return it by email to the Student Funding Office.
A member of our team will email your UCL email address with a decision within 48 hours.
Collecting your money
If your loan is approved you will be given an appointment at the UCL Financial Services office in 1-19 Torrington Place to sign and collect the paperwork and a cheque.
You will be directed to a specific branch of Barclays Bank who will pay you the loan in cash. You must cash this cheque on the same day it was issued. You should allow about an hour for the collection process. Loans can only be paid in this way, we are not able to pay them directly into bank accounts.
If you are on a Study Abroad programme and would like to enquire about a loan you should email the Student Funding Office.
Repaying your loan
If you do not repay your loan on time you will not be able to take out a further emergency loan. Non-payment may result in further action being taken by UCL to collect, which can include formal proceeding through a third-party collection agency.
If you are unable to repay the loan by the agreed deadline email Student Funding Office explaining your circumstances and giving a date by which you will be able to make a payment. Your request will be considered by the student funding manager.