Early Career Researcher Network
We provide a friendly and inclusive forum for PhD students, postdocs, research fellows, research assistants and technicians to discuss issues concerning research careers and researcher wellbeing. We also explore alternative career options through the information events and workshops.
Your ECR Committee Members
The committee acts as your representatives in the Division of Medicine Athena SWAN self-assessment team. We want to meet the needs of early career researchers and we welcome comments and suggestions on issues and events you would like us to consider.
Contact us: email@example.com
- George Robinson, Research Fellow, Inflammation (Co-chair, 2023-)
- Angela Tam, Senior Research Fellow, Rheumatology (Co-chair, 2023-)
- Marie-Belle El Mdawar, Research Fellow, UCL Respiratory
- Sandra Gomez Lopez, Senior Research Fellow, UCL Respiratory
- Puja Mehta, Clinical Research Fellow, UCL Respiratory (Clinical chair, 2021-)
- Pilar Acedo Nuñez, Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Liver and Digestive Health
- Adrian Brown, NIHR Lecturer and Senior Research Fellow in Nutrition & Dietetics
- Zoe Whiteman, Postdoctoral Researcher, UCL Respiratory
- Jude Holmes, PhD student, Imaging (Research Assistant ECR Representative)
- Claire Beesley, PhD student, Inflammation
- Efstathia Papada, Lecturer, Nutrition
- Connar Mawer, PhD student, Respiratory
Spotlight on early career researchers
Early career researchers within the Division of Medicine share their interests, experiences, challenges, and successes. Nominate an early career researcher at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- UCL Doctoral School
- Doctoral Skills Development Programme
- Organisational Development (OD) at UCL
- Being well at UCL
LinkedIn: EarlyCareerResearch UCL
We organise events relevant for early career researchers from both basic science and clinical backgrounds.
How-to guide: Fellowships at UCL (October 2023)
Dr Jenny Cowan (Wellcome Trust Henry Dale Fellow) discusses life as a post-doc abroad, applying for independent fellowships and choosing a good sponsor institute.
Dr Lizzy Rosser (Kennedy Trust Senior Research Fellow) offers insights into her UCL journey and the top ‘tips & tricks’ she’s learnt from applying for six UCL fellowships.
Navigating the internal UCL Fellowship Application Process
- Marion Atkinson (Deputy Director of Operations, Faculty of Medical Sciences)
- Prof Derek Gilroy (Scientific Director, Division of Medicine)
Fellowship applications for ECRs
Featuring speakers from the BHF, MRC, CRUK and NIHR.
Is allyship even possible?
Dr Naftali Kaminski views the role of men in the fight for gender equity in medicine. He is Boehringer-Ingelheim Endowed Prof. Internal Medicine and Chief of Pulmonary, Critical Care and Sleep Medicine at Yale School of Medicine.
Prof. Christina Pagel (UCL Faculty of Maths & Physical Sciences) tells us about using information to help people within the health service make better decisions by presenting data in a more intuitive way.
Chasing my cure to chasing our cures
David Fajgenbaum is national bestselling author of 'Chasing My Cure: A Doctor's Race to Turn Hope into Action'. While battling idiopathic multicentric Castleman disease (iMCD), he discovered a treatment that is saving his life and others.
International Women's Day 2022
For the 2022 International Women's Day (IWD) celebration female researchers in the Division of Medicine joined forces to invite reflection and inspire everyone in academia to 'Break the Bias'.
The ECR Network also released the first edition of its new Podcast with Prof Liz Jury and Prof Rachel Batterham, who shared their inspiring stories with Dr Puja Mehta and Dr Adrian Brown.