Mediacentral has some simple Terms & Conditions which all uploaders of content must be follow.
This statement sets out the Terms and Conditions of use of the UCL Mediacentral media delivery resource.
The Mediacentral service is provided by UCL Educational Media - Information Services Division who may change the content or services found on this site at any time without notice, and consequently the terms and conditions may change at any time in the future.
Your use of this Mediacentral will constitute your agreement to the following terms and conditions. Please read the details set out below carefully before using this system (the "database and site").
By accessing this site, you agree to be bound by the following terms and conditions and disclaimers:
- (the "Terms"). References to 'you', 'your' and 'yours' are references to the person(s) accessing the site.
- References to 'we', 'us' and 'our' are references to UCL, ISD Educational Media, ISD Learning & Media Applications, and ISD Digital Education.
Accepting the Terms
These Terms are to be read by you together with any terms, conditions, and disclaimers provided in the pages of the site. In the event of any conflict, the terms, conditions, and disclaimers provided in the pages of the Site shall prevail over these Terms.
Changes to the Terms
The information, material, and content provided in the pages of the Mediacentral may be changed at any time without notice. Changes may be made to the Terms at any time without notice by updating this posting. You agree to review the Terms regularly and your continued access to or use of the Website will mean that you agree to any changes.
- The Terms apply to all users of the Mediacentral service, including users who are also contributors of content. "Content" includes the text, graphics, photos, sounds, music, videos including audiovisual combinations and interactive features, and other materials you may view on, access through or contribute to Mediacentral.
- In order to use Mediacentral, you must first agree to the terms. You may not use Mediacentral if you do not accept the terms.
- By accessing and viewing content, you have accepted the terms by simply using Mediacentral. UCL and ISD will treat your use of the Service as acceptance of the Terms from that point onwards.
- You agree that you will be solely responsible (to Mediacentral, and to others) for all activity that occurs under your Mediacentral account. You are wholly responsible for use of Mediacentral by any person using your computer and you must ensure that any such person complies with these Terms.
- You must notify ISD immediately of any breach of security or unauthorised use of your Mediacentral account that you become aware of.
General restrictions on use
While connected and logged into this system as a Guest or a UCL user, you can search, view and download content for personal use, or in specific connection with the business of UCL, its learning, teaching, administration, and research activities.
You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Mediacentral content for any other purpose without the prior written consent of Mediacentral administrators or the respective copyright holder of the content.
Content may be used for any other purpose yet defined, without written permission from the ISD Educational Media team in ISD Digital Education, as the content manager for UCL.
Content may not be donated, or otherwise allocated to any other 3rd party without the permission of the copyright holder as defined by the ISD Educational Media team.
Where used, the UCL 'watermark' must remain on all content. If specific use of content is required without the watermark, please contact the ISD Educational Media team in ISD Digital Education.
If you are not the copyright holder, then a copyright and credit statement should always be given when using or embedding any content from the system.
You agree not to use Mediacentral (including the Mediacentral embedded content within its Player) for commercial uses, unless you can prove you have obtained written approval, this includes:
- the sale of access to the Service
- the sale of advertising, sponsorships, or promotions placed on or within the service, or content;
You may not upload content to which you are not the owner, this includes;
- uploading an original commercial video to Mediacentral,
- showing Mediacentral videos through the Mediacentral Player or otherwise on an ad-enabled blog or website.
You agree not to solicit, for commercial purposes, any users of Mediacentral with respect to their content; and
You agree not to access content or any reason other than your personal, non-commercial use solely as intended through and permitted by the normal functionality of the service.
All content that is made public will be made available for download, unless a specific request is made to the Mediacentral administrators.
Mediacentral allows the downloading of files so that users can watch offline, this function is also available where content is added through the Moodle Media Resource.
- A downloaded file is purely for your personal use, cannot be shared further,
- All downloads should be deleted from any personal device once you no longer need to view or listen.
- Downloads are made available on the basis of accessibility and for those with poor connectivity where streaming media might be difficult.
- Content from Mediacentral is copyright of the author/creator and as such cannot be repurposed, edited or remixed without the explicit consent from the author/creator.
All other content will be made available through the process of Streaming.
- Streaming is defined as "a contemporaneous digital transmission of the material via the Internet to a user-operated Internet-enabled device in such a manner that the data is intended for real-time viewing and not intended to be downloaded (either permanently or temporarily), copied, stored, or redistributed by the user."
Service operation and maintenance
As part of continuing innovation, you acknowledge and agree that Mediacentral may stop (permanently or temporarily) providing the service (or any features within the service) to you or to users generally at ISD's sole discretion, without prior notice to you.
Whilst we have taken reasonable steps to ensure the accuracy, availability, correctness and completeness of the information contained within Mediacentral, whether provided by UCL or a third party, information is provided on an "as is", "as available" basis and we do not make any warranty of any kind, whether express or implied.
The use of Mediacentral is at your sole risk. We shall not be liable for any loss or damage whatsoever and whosoever arising as a result of your use or reliance on the information contained on the website to the maximum extent permitted by law.
ISD does not represent or warrant that Mediacentral will be available and meet all your requirements. ISD and Educational Media cannot guarantee that access will be uninterrupted, that there will be no delays, failures, errors or omissions or loss of transmitted information.
ISD cannot also guarantee that viruses or other contaminating or destructive properties will not be transmitted or that damage will not occur to your computer system.
You have sole responsibility for adequate protection and backup of data and/or equipment on your PC.
You must undertake reasonable and appropriate precautions to scan for computer viruses or other destructive properties.
ISD makes no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy, functionality or performance of any third party software that may be used in connection with Mediacentral.
Trademarks and Copyright
Copyright in the page's screens, information, and material in their arrangement included in this site is owned by or licensed to ISD Digital Education unless otherwise noted
UCL Copyright Policy
- UCL operates a clear copyright policy. Details of that policy can be found here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/library/copyright
- As part of Mediacentral's copyright policy, Mediacentral will terminate user access to the Service if a user has been determined to be a repeat infringer. A repeat infringer is a user who has been notified of infringing activity more than twice.
- You may imprint, copy, download, or temporarily store extracts from our Site for your personal information.
- You must not alter anything. Any other use is prohibited unless you first get our written permission.
- In particular, no one may use a part of Mediacentral on any other website, or link any other website to our Site, without our prior written permission.
All content is subject to copyright and it is a condition of use that all content should be credited accordingly. Where possible a creator's credit line should always be present when using content from Mediacentral. When logged in to UCL Mediacentral, please read the copyright statement linked to this site.
The terms and conditions are governed by and interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales and the courts of the above jurisdiction will have non-exclusive jurisdiction in respect of any dispute, which may arise.
Mediacentral Privacy Statement
Information relating to user accounts will be securely controlled and all processing will be undertaken in accordance with, and as permitted by, the requirements of the Data Protection Act 1998 (DPA).
Personal content with its linked metadata will be retained for a minimum period of 2 years from the upload. UCL reserves the right to archive content after this period.
Teaching content with its associated metadata and attachments will be retained for a minimum period of 2 years from the upload. UCL reserves the right to archive content after this period if that content has no views or downloads within a 12-month period.
Content uploaded for UCL departmental publicity or promotional use will be retained until a request for deletion is made by the owner or owner's representative. Such content may be deleted after a period of two years from upload or if there are no views or downloads of that content within a 12-month period. UCL reserves the right to archive content.
There is no intention to keep user information details within the system once the content is deleted or archived.
Further information on Data Protection at UCL is available here:
In addition, for the purposes of the Freedom of Information Act and the Environmental Information Regulations UCL is a public authority and therefore information held as part of Mediacentral will fall within the scope of this legislation.
UCL Educational Media
Information Services Division
Gower Street, London, WC1E 6BT.
Tel 020 3108 9340