Drupal CMS: Resize an image
Learn about resizing an image for Drupal.
It is not possible to resize an image in Drupal so you need to do this in a different software before uploading the image to Drupal.
Moving to Drupal has allowed us to streamline our guidance on image sizes. Drupal resamples images depending on where they are used so you need to upload images in the following sizes:
- site banner: 1400x420 pixels
- full-width image or carousel: min 1200 pixels wide (height will depend on your design – please check with your Senior Editor)
- image gallery: 1000 pixels wide (height of images should be consistent – please check with your Senior Editor)
- image for the UCL Public Event Calendar: 800x500 pixels or as close as possible to this width size on a ratio of 16:10.
- all other images: 800x500 pixels
Software for resizing an image
IrfanView is available on the UCL desktop for download. Once downloaded, you will see it is straightforward to resize an image:
|1||Open IrfanView and search for your image|
|2||Once found and opened, click on Image | Resize/Resample|
|3||Complete the width in pixels||As seen in the above image, 800 pixels width - the height is added automatically|
|4||Click on OK|
Apart from Irfanview, you can also use the following software for resizing e.g. Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Gimp, Paint etc. and Mac users who use the latest OS can resize on their desktop.