Materials, guidance and e-learning to support the annual appraisal process.
Appraisals should be managed in a fair, inclusive, and consistent way. A range of policies, guidance, and templates are available to support the process. Managers should review the e-learning below ahead of an appraisal taking place.
UCL appraisal forms and policy
- Appraisal Review and Development Scheme policy and forms
- Appraisal Scheme - Clinical Senior Lecturers, Readers and Professors
Pre-appraisal training for managers:
- Overview of the appraisal process
A quick explanation of how appraisals work at UCL and what you can expect as an appraisee.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/cBjD3FFD
- Preparing for your appraisal
Guidance for appraisees on how to prepare for the annual appraisal to get the most out of the meeting.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/hjGgeeI6
- Preparing for an appraisal with a member of your team
Guidance for managers on how to prepare for an annual appraisal with a team member to make the most of the meeting.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/9D4A3Ac3
- Setting goals with the 4D model
An explanation of UCL's '4D' goal setting model and how to start thinking about your 4D goals for the year
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/1ig1J9C0
- Guide to effective goal setting
How to set goals as part of a developmental conversation with your line manager using the GROW model.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/aD7I0Jgd
Career conversation guidance
- Developmental Conversations
- Career Conversations guide - a framework to guide you through the process (.docx)
- Development plan template for use in appraisal and Career Conversations (.docx)
- The importance of appraisals and one-to-one conversations (Leaders)
Matthew Blain talks about the importance of having an annual appraisal with everyone in your team and supporting them with regular one-to-one meetings throughout the year.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/ED2Def1I
- Tips for having effective one-to-one conversations with your team members
Regular one-to-one conversations with your team members are an essential part of managing your team effectively. Donna Dalrymple offers some tips for getting the most out of this important investment of your time.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/828I7a9j
- How to handle difficult conversations with confidence and compassion
Nobody likes to have difficult conversations but they are an unavoidable part of being a manager. Donna Dalrymple offers some tips for tackling these conversations constructively and respectfully.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/Ijj6j9a9
- Making inclusion an integral part of effective performance in your team
Lacara Barnes-Rowe talks about the importance of making inclusion part of our day-to-day practice and an explicit element in the way we measure performance.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/gd6Ici9G
- Sponsorship techniques for leaders and allies
Lacara Barnes-Rowe shares some practical sponsorship techniques for leaders and allies who may want to support specific members of their team who are doing excellent work but may be marginalised or experience inequality.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/6iHIajjG
Videos from the UCL lab leaders series
- Appraisal Conversations
A video interview with Rosemary Varley, Head of UCL Language and Cognition.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/player/7g0BcFBb
- Appraisal Conversations - what a great one looks like
A video interview with Courtenay Norbury, Professor of Developmental Language and Communication Disorders.
MediaCentral Widget Placeholderhttps://mediacentral.ucl.ac.uk/Player/63i3D4b2
Web resources to support appraisal
- Academic Career Framework
- Career Frameworks for Professional Services
- Development for technical staff
- Lead at UCL
- Learning and development, also consider subscribing to the Learning Academy Newsletter for the latest training updates.
- Managing your career
- Ways of Working Framework