Appraisal review and development scheme resources
What has changed?
Based on the feedback from staff at the end of the previous appraisal season, we are implementing the following changes from January 2024:
- Working in collaboration with managers in the Technical Managers Group, a new appraisal form has been designed to support staff working in the Technical community. This form is being launched as part of a pilot project in 2024, and feedback will be collated to inform the future appraisal process for staff.
- Existing forms for Professional Services and Academic, Teaching and Research staff have been updated to include statements on Declarations of Interest and Conflict of Interest.
The new appraisal forms are now available to download, ready for the start of the UCL appraisal season in January 2024. You can download them from the Quick Links area at the top of the page.
Getting ready for your next appraisal?
We’re encouraging departments to adopt an annual appraisal season, that runs from January to April each year. Here are some things you can do to make sure you’re ready:
- Familiarise yourself with the supporting resources
- Schedule appraisal meetings with your direct reports, to take place between Jan and April 2023 (UCL’s appraisal season)
- Discuss the timing of your next appraisal meeting with your line manager, ideally this would take place between January and April (during UCL’s appraisal season)
- Complete the appraisals e-learning to prepare you as an appraiser or appraisee
- Complete Part A of the appraisal paperwork (and the checklist if appropriate) and share this with your line manager at least a week before your appraisal meeting
To fit in with the new season, some appraisals may need to be either brought forward or delayed by some months. If a member of staff had an appraisal this academic year, the line manager could arrange a review in April. A record of the review should include an update on progress made against the objectives to date. They should also record any adjustments to the objectives or their completion timelines. A full appraisal could then take place in January.
If an appraisal took place last academic year, the line manager might consider doing a full appraisal in April.
What about Professorial Appraisal Reviews?
The following work is ongoing to the Professorial Appraisal Review (PAR) system:
- Development of a replacement system for PAR, that will be implemented in early 2024, and will have the capacity to support all staff appraisals over an incremental timeline.