UCL Accommodation



Find out if you are eligible for guaranteed accommodation, how to apply as an undergraduate, deadlines and how rooms are allocated.

You must firmly accept an offer of a place on a degree programme at UCL, conditional or unconditional and apply for accommodation by 10 June in the year of study.

Accommodation offers will be sent out July / August in the year of study. Not all allocations will be generated at once and due to the current situation there is a slight delay in offers being sent out, so we kindly ask you to bear with us and be patient. 

On this page
First-year guaranteeDon't meet the guarantee?
Families and couplesStudents holding UCL as an insurance offer
Additional requirementsStudy abroad and exchange
Under 18siBSc students
Care leavers and estranged studentsUseful links

 First year guarantee 

All full-time single first year undergraduate students who chose UCL as their firm choice and have submitted their application by`10 June (year of study), and have not previously lived in Greater London whilst studying at a Higher Education Institution (University) or are attending UCL on Junior Year Abroad (JYA), Erasmus or Exchange programmes for a full academic year, will be offered a place in UCL accommodation.

Families and couples

UCL has limited couples’ accommodation for students who are married or in a civil partnership, and family accommodation for students who have children. All students applying for UCL or University of London accommodation (except International Hall) should apply directly through the accommodation application portal. Students with children are advised not to bring them to London until firm arrangements for accommodation are in place. 

Accommodation for families and couples

Additional requirements

If you are a disabled student and have specific requirements for your accommodation, please get in touch with UCL Student Support and Wellbeing or the UCL Accommodation Office, for advice before completing your accommodation application form. Where appropriate a preliminary visit to view the accommodation can be arranged.

If you are diagnosed with a medical condition after applying, please email the UCL Accommodation Office explaining how the condition affects your accommodation requirements. You must provide supporting medical evidence. The information you provide will be treated confidentially and is processed by UCL with your consent. It will be shared with the appropriate services within Student Support and Wellbeing in order for them to offer appropriate support during your time at UCL. UCL will work to ensure that disabled students, who require an en-suite, larger or accessible room, are not charged additional costs. Further information about this can be found via our Accommodation Support page.

Accommodation support for disabled students

Students under 18

Students under 18, prior to 18 September 2021, will be allocated places in designated halls. Based on room preferences applied for during the application process, students aged under 18 as of this date, will be allocated to places at Ian Baker House, James Lighthill House and Ramsay Hall only. Students under 18 will not be offered places within the Intercollegiate Halls. For more information, please contact the UCL Accommodation Office.

Care leavers and estranged students

UCL will provide 365-day accommodation for care leavers in their first year, and, if needed, for subsequent years of study. If you need 365-day accommodation, and/or accommodation beyond your first year at UCL, please contact the UCL Accommodation Office.

Contact the UCL Accommodation Office

Don't meet the guarantee? 

There are a few reasons that may mean you don't meet the criteria for UCL's Accommodation Guarantee. If you are holding UCL as an insurance offer, attending UCL on Junior Year Abroad (JYA), Erasmus or Exchange programmes, or an iBSc student, UCL cannot guarantee you a place in our accommodation.

There is a range of accommodation available for returning students and those who do not meet the eligibility criteria to be guaranteed university accommodation our Returning students' accommodation page. 

Search for alternative accommodation

Students holding UCL as an insurance offer

UCL cannot guarantee an accommodation place to students holding UCL as an insurance offer. Please be prepared to find accommodation using the University of London Housing Services.

Study abroad and exchange

Full-time undergraduate students attending UCL on Junior Year Abroad (JYA), Erasmus or Exchange programmes for a full academic year are considered equivalent to first-year undergraduate students for the purposes of allocating accommodation.

Students intending to attend UCL for less than an entire academic year cannot be guaranteed an accommodation place due to the limited number of spaces available. 

iBSc students

UCL cannot guarantee a place for iBSc students; please be prepared to find accommodation using University of London Housing Services.