Wardens and Student Residence Advisers (SRAs)

There are Wardens and Student Residence Advisers at most UCL residences and you can contact them if you need support or advice.

YouTube Widget Placeholderhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5tXbB5z9pw

Meet your Student Residence Advisers

On this page you can find out:

Introducing your team of Student Residence Advisers

Student Residence Advisers (SRAs) are recruited from the UCL postgraduate student community and both the SRAs and the Wardens live amongst students in UCL halls and houses. The Wardens’ role is to support and manage the teams of SRAs and in turn the teams help students to settle into their new life in halls and encourage a harmonious social atmosphere, maintain order and whenever necessary advise students with pastoral issues.

One of the SRAs is on duty every night from 5:30pm to 8:30am the following morning, and throughout weekends and holidays. Alongside security staff who are also present at selected sites, this means there is always someone available (365 days per year) to provide support in case of an emergency in all UCL accommodation. 

Wardens and SRAs develop connections with students and can support and refer students to the appropriate support services on offer at UCL.

When to seek help from a Student Residence Adviser

You should seek help from an SRA if:

  • someone needs basic first aid
  • you are worried about a fellow resident in your halls
  • you are feeling homesick or having trouble adjusting to a big city like London
  • you are a victim of or witness harassment/bullying of any kind
  • you would like to talk to someone about the transition into halls

The SRAs are the first point of contact for any welfare or pastoral issues you or a fellow student may have and can help signpost you to UCL’s support services for students and can call emergency services if you ever need them. They can also help you become familiar with your accommodation site and local amenities, provide you with useful tips for university life and are responsible for evacuating the building safely in the event of a fire alarm.

Most importantly, SRAs aim to ensure students feel safe and supported during their time in halls and the community is happy and respectful.

How to contact Wardens and Student Residence Advisers

You can contact your SRAs by visiting reception and asking to speak to the duty SRA or by phoning or emailing your local hall office. There really is no issue too big or too small to bring to your SRA, so don’t hesitate to get in touch with them.

In addition to the Wardens and SRAs, UCL also has an out of hours’ telephone counselling and information service that is free and confidential. You will have also seen a flyer in your welcome bag for this service. Store the telephone number in your phone along with the duty phone number so that you have it to hand if you need it.

Find out more about our evening and weekend support