Insurance FAQs

Please read the UCL Insurance Coverage for study abroad students FAQs to find out what you're covered for and how to make a claim if you need to.

Who is UCL's insurance provider? 

UCL's insurance provider is AIG. All students undertaking a period of study or work abroad through the UCL Study Abroad programme are eligible for travel and medical emergency insurance coverage through AIG for their placement abroad, free of charge. Students undertaking short-term study abroad opportunities that are facilitated by UCL will also be provided with insurance cover.

What impact does Covid-19 have on my insurance cover?

AIG insurance coverage is aligned with the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office's (FCDO) guidance on overseas travel. If a trip is booked at such a time when the FCDO advice is green, but prior to departure or during a trip, changes to amber or red – then claims can be made for the trip cancellation/curtailment as this would be a change in circumstances, out of the traveller's control and unforeseeable

How and when do I generate my policy cover note?

If you are preparing to study abroad in 2022/23, you should refer to the instructions provided in the  'Pre-Departure Tasks: Your Study Abroad Preparedness Plan and Insurance Coverage' unit of the UCL Students Abroad in 22/23 Moodle course on which you are enrolled, for instructions on how to generate your policy cover note. 

We advise you to print a copy of your policy cover note, giving a copy to your next of kin and keeping the PDF version saved on your laptop or phone to present if required (some students may be required to provide a copy of their cover note as part of a visa application or enrolment at their host institution)

What period of time will I be covered for? 

The policy will cover you for the duration of your placement (ie, from the first to last day that you are required to attend your study or work placement) with reasonable additional coverage included before and after your placement to allow for travel to and from your host country. You will be asked to provide details of your travel dates when you generate your policy. No individual trip can exceed 12 months.  

Is it possible to extend the duration of my cover?

Any extensions to existing policies are handled on a case-by-case basis by the Study Abroad Team. Extensions to existing policies will only be considered in the case that your placement end date is later than previously anticipated. It is not possible to extend the policy for personal travel or holidays taken following your placement and you should ensure that you have arranged suitable private coverage for this.  

What are the policy benefits?

The AIG policy includes the following benefits: 

  • Medical Expenses and other Emergency Travel Expenses, including cover for COVID-19 - Unlimited 
  • Repatriation Expenses - Unlimited. There is no medical expenses cover on the policy in an individual's home country or country of permanent residence
  • Legal Expenses - £50,000
  • Personal Liability - £5,000,000
  • Personal Property - £10,000
  • Business Equipment - £3,000
  • Personal Money - £5,000
  • Electronic Business Equipment - £3,000
  • Cancellation, Curtailment, Rearrangement, Replacement, Missed Departure and Travel Delay - £10,000
  • Cancellation, Curtailment, Rearrangement and Travel Delay due to a Natural Catastrophe - £10,000
  • Cancellation, Curtailment, Rearrangement and Travel Delay due to Pandemic (aggregate limit) - £50,000
  • Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation (aggregate limit) - £100,000
  • Vehicle Rental Excess - £1,000
Does the policy cover me for routine, ongoing medical treatment?

The policy provides cover for medical emergencies but does not cover for ongoing, routine treatment. Please see below for information on accessing non-emergency medical treatment and care:

Placements within Europe

  • If you are a UK/EU citizen undertaking a placement in Europe, you can continue to use your existing European Health Insurance Card to access medical treatment until its expiry date. If you apply for a new card now, you’ll get the new UK Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) instead of a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Current information on the EHIC and GHIC cards can be found on the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Offive website
  • If you are a citizen from outside of the UK/EU, you should refer to your home country's guidance on the bilateral healthcare agreement in place between your hoem and host country, which may enable you to access non-emergency primary healthcare for free or at a subsidised rate

Placements outside of Europe 

  • If you are a UK citizen, please refer to NHS guidance on healthcare when travelling outside of the EEA
  • If you are a citizen from outside of the UK, you should refer to your home country’s guidance on the bilateral healthcare agreement in place between your home and host country, which may give you access to non-emergency primary healthcare for free or at a subsidised rate

The International Office at your host institution should be able to provide you with useful information in this respect. If you are going to be working rather than studying then your employer may provide health cover for you, or you will be able to advise you how and where to access primary healthcare.


Am I covered for extreme sports and activities?

If you plan to participate in what might be considered an ‘extreme’ sport or activity whilst abroad, please discuss the extent of coverage that may be in place for this activity with our Insurance Team in good time prior to travel.

Please remember that you are primarily covered for UCL business (e.g. your time as a student or on a work placement) and that leisure activities are included only on an incidental basis.

Am I covered for travel outside of my host country?

You are only covered for activities undertaken in your host country (or both countries if you are a ‘split-year’ student undertaking 2 placements abroad). Any travel outside of your host country (for example, a holiday you decide to take in another country during vacation time) will not be covered by the policy and it is very important that you obtain private coverage yourself in good time before your trip.

Personal liability coverage

The UCL policy covers you up to £5 million if you cause damage to anyone/anything. This is known as civil liability insurance in France (where it is often a requirement). However, although the personal liability element of the policy would normally cover damage to third party property, insurers have stated that they define rented accommodation as property of the student and not that of a third party, as it is under the students care, custody & control. Students should confirm with their landlord whether there is insurance as part of the rent paid for damage caused to the property.

Are there any exclusions if I have a pre-existing medical condition?

There is no requirement to declare pre-existing conditions when you generate your policy cover note through the online portal. You will be covered by the policy as long as you are not travelling abroad against the advice of your GP. You should ensure that you are travelling with a sufficient supply of any medication that you require as the policy will not cover you for costs incurred in obtaining replacements. 

Can I make a claim without the original receipts for items which are lost, damaged or stolen?

All claims will be considered on a case-by-case basis by UCL's insurers and they will advise you of the documentation or evidence that they require from you. Generally, AIG will accept documents from websites or suppliers which state the replacement value of the item. For lost/stolen passports and driving licences you should attach (to your claim) evidence of the cost of replacing each document.

Settling a claim

It can take up to 4-6 weeks for AIG to settle a claim once they have the documentation and information that they require from you. 

Who should I contact if I have further questions about the policy?

Please contact the UCL Insurance Team if you have a question that is not covered by one of the points above: