Academic Misconduct Allegations and Appeals

Information on Academic Misconduct including how to Appeal decisions

This section is divided as follows:

I've been accused of Academic Misconduct

Please refer to our separate Academic Integrity website for more information about Academic Integrity and the Academic Misconduct Panel process.

You can also email us via casework@ucl.ac.uk for further information.

I would like to appeal an Academic Misconduct decision

Students may appeal against the decision of the Academic Misconduct Panel under the procedures outlined under 9.5 Appeals Process.  

However, an appeal against an Academic Misconduct decision will only be heard if there is evidence that: 

  1. The decision or panel process was not conducted in accordance to the procedures,  
  2. Fresh evidence has become available which was not available and could not reasonably be available for consideration during the decision or panel process,  
  3. The decision was not reasonable given the circumstances of the case.  

What to do?  

Complete the Academic Misconduct Appeals Form and submit this with supporting information and evidence within 10 working days of receiving formal notification of the decision.

Your appeal will not be accepted for consideration after 10 working days of the contested decision being made.  

What happens next? 

A Senior Casework Officer will be appointed to your case and approach your Department to make a request for documentation relating to the allegation of Academic Misconduct. Once received, you will be sent a copy and be asked for comments on the factual accuracy of the response. The casefile will then be reviewed.  

If the grounds are not specified or deemed invalid, you will receive a Completion of Procedures Letter explaining why.  

If your appeal is taken forward for consideration, an Appeals Panel will be convened.  

Receiving the outcome  

You can expect to receive an outcome letter within 10 working days of the conclusion of the Appeals Panel, which will uphold the appeal in full, in part or dismiss it and provide the reasons why.  

Next steps 

If your Academic Misconduct Appeal is upheld in full or in part, and you do not wish to accept the recommendations of the Panel, a Completion of Procedures Letter will be issued to you, which signals that you have exhausted the University’s internal procedures. You can then refer a complaint to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA).  

Complaint to the OIA 

The OIA provides a free and independent scheme for the review of student complaints. Upon receipt of a Completion of Procedures Letter, you can make an application to the OIA to review your complaint within 12 months of the date of the letter.  

More information can be found at www.oiahe.org.uk.