IIPP selected to take part in Vatican COVID-19 Commission’s Economy Taskforce
29 April 2020
IIPP Director Mariana Mazzucato has been invited to join a special Vatican task force to advise the Pope on economic policy matters, with special focus on problems created by COVID-19. IIPP research is feeding in to work through the coordination of Research Lead Asker Voldsgaard.
On March 28th 2020, the Pope sent an open letter to Judge Roberto Andrés Gallardo, the Argentinean-born president of the Pan-American Committee of Men and Women Judges for Social Rights, demanding leaders 'put people first', adding, 'it would be sad if they opted for the opposite, which would lead to the death of very many people, something like a viral genocide (genocidio virosico).'
Part of the solution, he claims, can be found in Professor Mariana Mazzucato's ground-breaking book The Value of Everything: Making and Taking in the Global Economy. In it, Professor Mazzucato issues a direct challenge to the wealth creators of our world, urging them to reprioritise 'value' over 'price'. In other words, 'taking' wealth is not the same as 'making' wealth, and the world has lost sight of what value really means.
'I believe [her vision] can help to think about the future,' Pope Francis said.
In recent weeks, Professor Mazzucato and other IIPP academics have been applying their thinking on how to make sure the post-COVID-19 economy is one that is more inclusive and sustainable:
- How to Develop a COVID-19 Vaccine for All, by Professor Mariana Mazzucato & Els Torreele (Project Syndicate)
- Capitalism's Triple Crisis, by Professor Mariana Mazzucato (Project Syndicate)
- The COVID-19 crisis is a chance to do capitalism differently, by Professor Mariana Mazzucato (The Guardian)
- Coronavirus and the UK economy: Why this pandemic needs a bolder macroeconomic response, by Josh Ryan-Collins (IIPP Medium)
- Drug Companies Will Make a Killing From Coronavirus, by Professor Mariana Mazzucato (The New York Times)