Waste and Recycling
Waste and recycling commitments
UCL has committed to reducing waste per person by 20% and to recycle 85% of its waste by 2024. We are commited to reducing, reusing, repairing and sharing, eliminating single use items and maximising the value from our waste products.
> This initiative is part of the The Loop campaign.
What is UCL doing?
- We recycle 56% of our waste and send zero waste to landfill. Everything we don't recycle, is recovered for energy.
- Our food waste goes to anaerobic digestion to be turned into energy and our coffee beans fuel London buses!
- All our waste is processed in the UK.
- We encourge reuse through sharing platforms such as Warpit, our monthly clothes swaps.
- Our coffee cup charge has saved 250,000 cups since its launch in 2019.
- UCL is reducing waste through working with suppliers.
Sustainable waste initiatives
UCL's Plastic Waste Innovation Hub
> Visit the Plastic Waste Innovation Hub.