What is UCL doing?
We want to choose products that are best for people and planet – as a result, we’re aiming to reduce waste per person by 20% by 2024 and become a single-use plastic free university. We do this by:
- Maintaining certification in the Responsible Procurement Code;
- Engaging our top 500 suppliers in sustainable pracice;
- Complying with Modern Slavery audits;
- Introducing sustainability ratings for products on the e-marketplace and canteens;
- Training purchasing staff in sustainable and ethical procurement best practices;
- Reducing food waste, and expanding existing waste food redistribution schemes;
- Establishing a logistics hub and tracking deliveries;
- Launching a high-profile recycling communications campaign;
- Rolling-out key single-use plastic alternatives in catering and laboratories;
- Putting Electronic Records Management System in place;
Loop case studies
UCL Circular Economy Lab
An exciting cross-faculty aiming to use UCL's expertise to improve the design of buildings and products, their re-use and recycling, and the return of their constituent materials back to the economy.