Sustainable Food and Drink
Food and Drink Commitments
- Ensure that 50% or more of our food offers provided are vegetarian or vegan. Champion our #PoweredbyPlants campaign to deliver the majority of hospitality as vegetarian and vegan).
- Ensure all our standard tea, coffee, bananas, chocolate (confectionary, cocoa powder, drinking chocolate) and sugar are Fairtrade certified.
- Provide carbon information on food we make in-house to allow consumers to make environmentally informed food choices. Encourage behaviour change towards lower impact foods.
- Maintain Food Made Good accreditation by the Sustainable Restaurant Association.
What UCL is doing
- Awarded 3 (out of 3) stars Sustainable Restaurant Association (SRA) Food Made Good award.
- Jointly awarded the 1-star Fairtrade University and College Award, following a student-led audit in 2022.
- Successful roll-out of 50p cup charge for disposable coffee cups.
- Vegetarian and vegan default hospitality choices #PoweredbyPlants.
- Established the UCL Sustainable Food Working group - a new collaborative pan-UCL group of representatives from UCL caterers, Sustainable UCL, Union and Student Societies, to share best practice.
UCL’s sustainable food initiatives
Food at UCL
The food at UCL is provided by Gather & Gather.
Ordering vegetarian food, reducing disposable plastics and reducing food waste at events all help UCL meet our sustainability goals.