- How does Green Impact work?
The scheme works around an online, interactive workbook which gives staff the structure to make positive changes to their department or office. The workbook has a range of sustainability actions which directly feed into the aims of UCL's Sustainability Strategy.
- Teams start with the Bronze workbook, before moving onto the Silver and Gold workbooks.
- Once teams have completed Green Impact to Gold level, they can create a bespoke Sustainability Plan for their office or department. Working with Sustainable UCL, they can identify their biggest sustainability opportunities and challenges, and create fun and engaging projects which will make a large impact.
- Students are trained as Sustainability Ambassadors to help teams complete the workbooks and fulfill their Sustainability Plans. Apply to work with a Sustainability Ambassador by the 15th of October using this form.
- Student volunteers audit teams in May to check that the workbooks have been completed.
- In July, there is a Sustainability Awards Ceremony to celebrate the achievements of our Champions.
- Last year 45 teams took part in the competition - this year we want more!
- How can I take part?
- Bronze: Complete the 24 actions in the Bronze section.
- Silver: Complete the 15 actions in the Silver section.
- Gold: Complete the 20 actions in the Gold section.
- Teams who have completed Green Impact to a Gold level may undertake a Sustainability Plan (see the workbook for guidance).
- Key Dates
- The toolkit is reviewed every summer and launches on 16th September 2021.
- Deadline for staff to apply for a Student Sustainability Ambassador: 15th October 2021.
- Deadline for students to apply to become a Sustainability Ambassador: 15th October 2021.
- Staff and students are notified of their pairing by 1st November 2021.
- Deadline to apply for Sustainability Plan funding: 2nd February 2022.
- First meetings between staff and students to be arranged between them within Term 1.
- Green Impact Submission deadline: 17th May 2022.
- Green Impact Audits: 30th and 31st May 2022.
- Awards Ceremony: Mid-July 2022. Find last year's award winners on this page.
- UCL's Green Champions Network
Join UCL's Green Champions Network on Microsoft Teams to stay up to date with everything Green Impact, ask questions, connect with other Green Champions, share ideas and resources.
Sign up to the Mailing List to receive updates on key deadlines, dates and information throughout the year.
- Visit the workbook, which contains all essential information about completing the criteria, including links to relevant resources and key contacts.
- Visit this resources page, which contains everything you need for completing Green Impact, including a Starter Pack with essential information.
- The Green Champions Network and Mailing List are key sources of information throughout the year.
- We run regular workshops tailored to completing Green Impact criteria throughout the year. Details will be communicated through the Green Champions Network, and here on our events page.
- Faculty Lead Green Champions support members of staff in their faculty to complete Green Impact. They should be your first point of contact for questions relating to the programme. You can find your Faculty Lead Green Champion on this page.
- For those who do not yet have a Faculty Lead Green Champion, you should contact your Sustainability Business Partner by navigating to this page. Your Business Partner is someone from the Sustainable UCL Team who has been assigned to your faculty or business area, and can act as a point of contact for any questions you have relating to Green Impact.