Updating your Student Finance application

3 December 2020

If your plans for 20/21 change you may need to update your Student Finance application.


If you’re coming to university next year and intend to fund your studies using loans from Student Finance, you should make an application as soon as possible.

However if you’ve already applied but your situation changes, here is what you should do:

How do I change the details on my Student Finance application?

If you’ve already applied to Student Finance but need to change the details on your application – for example what university you will be attending, what course you will be studying or where you will be living while you study, you can do this via your Student Finance online account.

  1. Log into your Student Finance account at www.gov.uk/studentfinance
  2. Scroll to the bottom of your account summary page, where you will find the link to change your application
  3. Click on ‘Change your application’
  4. Then choose the option to change your ‘University/college and course’
  5. Make sure you have the details of your new university and course before continuing
  6. You’ll then be able to change your course and fees. You’ll also need to update where you’ll be living during the academic year
  7. Make sure you double check the changes before you submit them
  8. Once you’ve submitted the changes, check your account regularly for updates. Student Finance will send you a letter once they’ve confirmed your changes.

YouTube Widget Placeholderhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd0ncgq9Q3Y


I want to defer my entry to UCL, but I’ve made an application for Student Finance for 20/21 - what do I do?

If you have already made an application to Student Finance but then decide to defer study, you can cancel your application. You should then apply for Student Finance again before you start study the following academic year. If you are an EU student, you will not be eligible for a loan in 2021/22 if you defer.

What happens if I change my location during the year (e.g. live at home in Term 1, then away from home from Term 2) – how will this affect my loans?

The rate of maintenance loan you can receive depends on where you live while you study.
If you know where you will be living each term, you can let Student Finance know this when you apply and they will pay you accordingly.
If something changes after you have applied and you end up living somewhere different to where you stated on your application, you can update you application via your online account and Student Finance will adjust the money you receive.