Social and cultural resources

Information about social and cultural resources and opportunities available to international students.

On this page you can find information about various social and cultural resources for UCL students, including:

Students' Union UCL

Students' Union UCL exists to provide you with a range of services to support and help you develop your skills and interests while you are at UCL. The Union offers over 250 clubs and societies, and runs a selection of bars, cafes and shops on campus. They can help you get involved in campaigning and volunteering, and also run an Advice Service that can help students with housing, legal and academic matters.

Every student at UCL is automatically a member of the Students' Union. The Union is run by seven full-time Officers, a team of part-time Officers, and representatives who are in charge of raising issues around academic study, diversity, inclusivity, accommodation and student life. The Officers are elected by the student body.

To find out more about student clubs and societies, please visit the Students' Union website.

More information about the Union's Advice Service is also available on the Union's website. 

Volunteering Service

The Volunteering Service exists to connect UCL students with rewarding community volunteering opportunities across London. The Service is based in Students' Union UCL and funded direcly by UCL. It is partnered with over 400 local charities, and provides training, expenses and a chance to develop your skills. You can sign up to the Service's newsletter for updates on volunteering opportunities, and can also take part in one-off volunteering if you have less time available.

For more information about volunteering opportunities, please visit the Volunteering Service webpages.

UCL Cultural Consultation Service

The UCL Cultural Consultation Service (CCS) aims to enhance learning and teaching outcomes for students and staff at UCL. The service aims to help students who may be experiencing difficulties making the transition from school to university or who may be facing cross-cultural issues.

For more information about the services offered, please visit the CCS website.

Host UK

HOST UK offers students the opportunity to visit British people in their homes for a day or weekend homestay. You can also apply to spend Christmas or a weekend over the summer with a British family. The invitations are offered by approved, volunteer hosts, who are interested in meeting students and learning about their culture. Hosts enjoy sharing meals and conversation and are well equipped to answer questions about the UK.

For more information and to apply for a British homestay, please visit the HOST UK website.

International Students House (ISH)

International Student House (ISH) aims to provide opportunities for international students to experience the many facets of life in the UK and to give them a deeper understanding of British society. They offer many opportunities, including trips, social activities and theatre outings. As a UCL student, you have access to International Student House's venues on 229 Great Portland Street, which include food and drink outlets, live music venues, accommodation and study spaces.

For more information about activities and events at International Students House, please visit the ISH website.

UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) student blog

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website offers a wealth of information and resources for international students, including information about living and studying in the UK, healthcare, immigration, fees and money, working and more. In particular, you can read the UKCISA student blog for useful advice and tips from other students sharing their experiences. 

To read the student blog, please visit the UKCISA website.

For more guidance on living and studying in the UK, please consult the information and advice section of the UKCISA website. 

International Friends 

International Friends offer day trips, overnight tours and weekend trips for international students in the UK and Europe. 

For more information, visit the International Friends website.