Transition Mentors help you settle in and can provide advice on academic topics, support services and administrative tasks that you need to complete as a first year student.
Every first year undergraduate is matched to a Transition Mentor, a second or third year student from your degree programme. Your mentor will meet with you once a week in groups of around ten students until early December. Senior Mentors provide support for the Mentors and help co-ordinate the meetings.
Your Mentor will help you settle in. They can direct you to support services, such as financial adviser appointments or disability services, give guidance on study skills and time management, and answer questions about administrative processes that you need to complete as a student at UCL.
Many students find their Mentors invaluable:
- “My transition mentor is amazing - incredibly knowledgeable and helpful”
- “Transition mentor (was) the most helpful of any welcome programmes with respect to settling in”
- “My student mentor has been undoubtedly the most helpful figure at university so far”
(Quotes from 2017 New to UCL survey)
You will meet your Mentor at a welcome session scheduled by your department in the first week of term, so it is really important that you attend. If you haven’t been able to meet your Mentor, speak to your Departmental Administrator, your personal tutor or the Transition team for help.
Applications for Transition Mentors and Senior Mentors for September 2021 are now open! (Deadline: Midnight 28th May 2021)
- The Transition Mentor role is open to undergraduate students in their second year at UCL and beyond.
- The Senior Mentor role is open to undergraduate students who have previously worked as a Transition Mentor.
Please read the job description carefully and complete the application form in full. You will need to submit a 300 word supporting statement and we recommend that you draft this in a separate document.
Full instructions can be found on the application form.
Applications will close at midnight on Friday 28th May 2021. Shortlisting will take place in early June. For those of you who have applied, please expect a decision on your application by the end of June.
If you need to contact the Transition team for more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org