The Target Medicine Summer School (TMSS) is a free, non-residential, week-long programme for Year 11 students from London-based, non-selective state schools.
There are 48 places available and the programme takes place across two campuses: UCL Main Campus in Bloomsbury and UCL Medical School at the Royal Free Hospital in Hampstead, North London.
Throughout the summer school, students are supported and led by two medical students and will get the opportunity to:
- Quiz a range of diverse UCL medical students
- Take part in a ‘Meet the Doctors’ carousel
- Engage in simulated clinical situations
- Hear stories from individuals living with chronic illnesses
- Find out more about university and student finance
- Experience a real university lecture
- And more!
Please note: The summer school does not include any work experience.
Summer School Dates: Summer School will not run in 2020. The next event will take place in summer 2021
To apply, you must meet all of the following essential criteria:
- Currently in Year 11
- Interested in pursuing Medicine at university
- Attend a non-selective state school
- Live in Greater London
- Predicted to achieve GCSE grade B/score 6 or above in English Language and Maths
And you must also meet at least one or more of the following:
- Have parents or carers who have not been to university
- Have parents from non-professional occupations;
- Are currently eligible for free school meals;
- Live in neighbourhoods with low overall progression rates to higher education and high levels of deprivation. (We use POLAR, IMD and Acorn data to assess this.)
- Are a refugee, looked after child, young carer, or estranged from your family;
- Identify as disabled;
- Belong to one of the following ethnic groups currently underrepresented in higher education:
White British who meet the family background/neighbourhood criteria
Gypsy and Traveller communities
Please note: Summer School will not run in 2020. Applications for the 2021 Target Medicine Summer School will open in February 2021.
If you have a question, please email email@example.com
- The summer school will take place at two different campuses: UCL Bloomsbury Campus and UCL Medical School in Royal Free Hospital. A travel card will be provided on the first day of the summer school.
- This summer school DOES NOT include any work experience.
- All summer school sessions will take place in a teaching room or clinical skills centre used for teaching UCL medical students with the exception of any trips (e.g. pathology museum).
- As part of the application you will be required to provide your predicted grades as agreed with your teacher. You will also be asked to provide contact details for one of your teachers who we will ask to submit a reference confirming your grades. Please ensure you have their permission before you submit this information.
- At least one of your parents/carers should be present when you complete your application as we require some information from them.
- We will aim to inform applicants of the outcome of their application by Tuesday 8th May.
For further information about applying for medical school, please visit: