Become is a one-day event for Year 9 and 10 students of African-Caribbean descent or Mixed Black backgrounds to explore what it might be like going to university and studying medicine.
The idea of this event was developed by four UCL Medical Students from Black African and Black Caribbean backgrounds who want to change the low representation of students from similar backgrounds within the field of medicine.
"‘We started this initiative because we saw a low number of Black African and Caribbean medical students entering UCL, and we want to change that.
Many Black prospective students are discouraged to apply as they think medicine is not for them; but we want to show that it is indeed possible and that there is a network of medical students from similar backgrounds ready to help them here at UCL to show them what they can Become."
--Ivan Beckley, Ayo Olatunji, Abdul Elmi, and Ozzy Eboreime
Event date: 31st May 2019
Applications have now closed.
If you have a question, please email email@example.com
- Discover what it’s like to study medicine
- Meet current UCL medical students and hear their experiences
- Learn about the different support and opportunities available at university
- Gain valuable advice about applying to university
- Get the chance to experience a hands-on workshops and taster session
- Make informed decisions about your future
To attend this event, you must be:
- A prospective student from a Black African, Black Caribbean, White and Black African/Black Caribbean, or Other Black background
- In Year 9 or 10, attending a non-selective state school or academy in the Greater London.
Priority will be given to applicants who are on track to meet a minimum of grade B/6 in GCSE English Language and Mathematics, and who meet our general Widening Participation eligibility criteria.