Applications are now closed!
About LondonMed Summer School
This programme forms part of the Medical Schools Council (MSC) Summer School initiative and is funded by Health Education England (HEE), therefore you must meet the MSC eligibility criteria outlined here. It aims to increase undergraduate applications and enrolments from groups underrepresented in Medicine in England.
Hosted by UCL, the Y12 LondonMed Summer School will run in collaboration with Queen Mary, University of London (QMUL), King’s College London (KCL), and St George’s, University of London (SGUL). The summer school will provide students with an insight to studying medicine at four different medical schools across London. Participants will have the opportunity to experience lectures and workshops ranging on topics such as ethics and law to clinical and professional practice. Attendees will experience differing teaching styles and engage with staff, health care workers and students across all four London institutions.
This week-long virtual summer school will breakdown the essentials to consider when applying for medicine, provide insight into the degree course, and give students a taste of what it might be like to study medicine in London.
Summer school date: 19 – 23 July 2021
- Academic requirements
- You should be on track to meet the minimum entry requirements for medicine at a U.K. university
- You’ll ideally have achieved a grade 6/B or above in GCSE English Language and Mathematics
- Studying Biology and/or Chemistry at A-levels
- Have an interest in pursuing Medicine
- Eligibility criteria
To be eligible for the programme you must be in year 12 studying at a state school in England and:
- In, or have been in local authority care
Or meet a minimum of two of the following:
- Studying in a state school that achieved below the national average Attainment 8 score and/or Progress 8 score at GCSE
- From a school with a high percentage of students receiving free school meals
- Living in a geographical area with low levels of progression onto higher education
- Are a young carer (have caring responsibilities for a close relative with a disability, long-term illness, mental health condition, or drug or alcohol problem)
- From a family where the parents do not have a university degree from the UK or abroad
- Be in receipt of or eligible for free school meals, the 16-19 Bursary Fund, Discretionary Learner Support, Means Tested Benefit or Pupil Premium
- Be estranged (living independently) from parents or guardians, which means you no longer have a relationship with or support from either of your parents or guardians due to a breakdown in this relationship.
- Be an asylum seeker or refugee
Priority will be given to applicants from these areas:
- East Cambridgeshire
- Forest of Dean
- Bracknell Forest
- Forest Heath
- South Cambridgeshire
- West Somerset
- Central Bedforshire
- Mid Suffolk
- How to apply
Applications are now closed. Please check back at the end of February for details of the 2022 summer school.
All information provided on your application form will be stored by UCL and shared with our partner organisations: Medical Schools Council, Kings College London, Queen Mary University of London and St Georges University of London. For information on how our partner institutions use data, please read their privacy notice which can be found here:
If you would like to contact us with any questions or concerns about the data we hold or if you would like any further information please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org.