Library Services


Members of other UK and Irish Universities

Information on access to our libraries for staff and students of British universities not part of the University of London.

Academic staff and research postgraduates

Academic staff and research level postgraduates are eligible to apply for borrowing membership as long as their university participates in the SCONUL Band A Access Scheme.

Applicants will need to attach an approval email from their home institution confirming they qualify for SCONUL Band A. 

Please visit the SCONUL Access Scheme webpage for details on the application process.

To apply

To apply for membership, academic staff and research level postgraduate applicants must complete the online registration form and attach:

  1. A passport style photo (colour, facing camera).
  2. A photo/scan of your home institution ID card showing level of study and expiry date.
  3. A photo/scan of proof of home address (for instance, a valid driving license or recent utility bill).
  4. A SCONUL Band A confirmation email.

Oxford and Cambridge academic staff and research postgraduates

Although Oxford and Cambridge do not participate in the SCONUL Band A Access Scheme, they are eligible to apply for reference access without charge.

They should apply via the SCONUL Band A route. Although a SCONUL Band A confirmation email is requested, any file can be attached in its stead to complete the application.

Apply now »

Taught postgraduates and undergraduates

Taught postgraduates and undergraduates from other British and Irish universities that participate in the SCONUL Summer Vacation Scheme may use the library for reference during the UCL Summer Vacations, but should note that the dates of the UCL Summer Vacation may not always coincide with those of other institutions.

Please note that access under the SCONUL Summer Vacation Scheme is only available during the UCL Summer Vacation period. The scheme does not cover other (e.g. Winter or Spring) Vacation periods.

Apply now »

Term-time and other vacation periods

Taught postgraduates and undergraduates requiring access during term-time or during Winter or Spring UCL Vacations will need to apply as members of the public and pay the appropriate fee.

SCONUL Access Band 'B', Band 'C' and Band 'R' schemes

Please note, UCL does not participate in the SCONUL Access Band 'B', Band 'C' or Band 'R' schemes.